Best Drive Modes

de-smarted

Reaction score
I’ve had mine now since Halloween weekend and did (2) trips, sitting at 1k miles with 12.2 mpg overall.

However I haven’t really played with the drive modes. Still getting used to the interior and overall size (1st time truck owner).

I keep it in Auto and find the acceleration is not what I hoped. Is Sport or Baja mode that much better? I feel like I’d get embarrassed if I revv’d against most other rides. Any tips on when I can lock the Diff? I feel like there’s several ways to do burnouts or 360’s (like on the commercials). Appreciate any insights.

Shifts And Grins

Reaction score
I’ve had mine now since Halloween weekend and did (2) trips, sitting at 1k miles with 12.2 mpg overall.

However I haven’t really played with the drive modes. Still getting used to the interior and overall size (1st time truck owner).

I keep it in Auto and find the acceleration is not what I hoped. Is Sport or Baja mode that much better? I feel like I’d get embarrassed if I revv’d against most other rides. Any tips on when I can lock the Diff? I feel like there’s several ways to do burnouts or 360’s (like on the commercials). Appreciate any insights.
Sport and baja are a lot more responsive to the throttle. The only time I lock my rear diff is off road. Haven’t found a need to lock it on the road. I haven’t done any 360s in my truck so I can’t really provide any input there. The truck is fast. I’ve surprised many sports cars when they are coming up behind me driving like a fool and we end up at a light next to each other. I’ll take off fast but slow down shortly after pulling ahead of them. The look on their face is hilarious. To truly race it, I’ll save that for the track or offroad.

quietpeen

Reaction score
you don't want to lock the rear on dry pavement. only offroad or in snow, and generally only when you need it.

If you want to get better mgp's on the highway put it in snow mode. It really does make a difference.

As for acceleration, keep in mind that this is a 6k lb vehicle with 35's. That is going to have an effect on your butt dyno, and this is my take on the acceleration. When moving and stomping on it, it pretty much feels like my 392 charger did. Where this truck shines is from a stop. The launch is very impressive for a 6k lb truck on 35's.

For burnouts you need the tazer to force 2 wheel drive. Right now the tazer isn't fully functional on the 22's, but zautomotive has been working on it. If you did get the tazer once its fully functional I wouldn't go all the time in 2wd. I have seen where transfer cases going bad because of it.

Shifts And Grins

Reaction score
you don't want to lock the rear on dry pavement. only offroad or in snow, and generally only when you need it.

If you want to get better mgp's on the highway put it in snow mode. It really does make a difference.

As for acceleration, keep in mind that this is a 6k lb vehicle with 35's. That is going to have an effect on your butt dyno, and this is my take on the acceleration. When moving and stomping on it, it pretty much feels like my 392 charger did. Where this truck shines is from a stop. The launch is very impressive for a 6k lb truck on 35's.

For burnouts you need the tazer to force 2 wheel drive. Right now the tazer isn't fully functional on the 22's, but zautomotive has been working on it. If you did get the tazer once its fully functional I wouldn't go all the time in 2wd. I have seen where transfer cases going bad because of it.
I second that on the transfer case issues with 2wd. It causes clutches in the transfer case to slip to disengage the front driveshaft and in turn smokes the clutch pack and transfer case.

OP
OP
D

de-smarted

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. CatchmeOffroad has a video on Launch mode where he mentions the transfer case’s limits. Makes sense to me and won’t bother with a tazer, although some of the other tricks it unlocks seem interesting (but how is the user interface, if any lol).

quietpeen

Reaction score
The tazer user interface isn’t great but it’s manageable. There are videos on youtube on how to get into and navigate the menu.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Supposedly the Tazer will get a big update and improved compatibility soon. Until then I'd skip it with a 2022.

As far as modes, sport really sharpens it up a lot. I leave it in that most of the time, although the gear holding is annoying in town and I manually upshift. The issue with just leaving in "auto" mode is that you HAVE to turn the traction control off before you floor it from a stop. Otherwise the TC will step in almost right away and ruin the fun.

If your truck is still very new, it may also loosen up a bit with time and get a little quicker. From a stop on the street this thing will take down just about any sports car up to 60-70 MPH.

Shifts And Grins

Reaction score
I went from 4.3 0-60 to 3.9 0-60. I attribute most of that to ambient temperature but some to breakin as well. I’m just shy of 5,000 miles on my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko