Catch cans

smokem

Reaction score
What catch cans are you guys using.. finally picking up my truck tomorrow and looking to install one.. post pictures and recommendations thanks

quietpeen

Reaction score
I have a Billet Technology catch can that I took off of my Charger 392. Here is my thread with pictures.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Billet Technology catch can that I took off of my Charger 392. Here is my thread with pictures.

Do they really make a difference?

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What catch cans are you guys using.. finally picking up my truck tomorrow and looking to install one.. post pictures and recommendations thanks

Congrats on getting your truck tomorrow. Post up pics when you can.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do they really make a difference?
On a boosted application hell yeah! Will keep everything in the inlet side of the engine much, much cleaner. Especially that blower! And because vaporized oil mixed with combustion gases essentially lowers fuel octane rating, the truck will arguably make more power all of the time. The truck will never have to pull timing to prevent spark knock. Plus, billet goodies under the hood look good lol.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
they definitely catch oil. The debate is whether or not it does any good or not with oil going back into your intake without a catch can

I thought it was mostly to catch more dirty oil. That's not the main reason for them?

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On a boosted application hell yeah! Will keep everything in the inlet side of the engine much, much cleaner. Especially that blower! And because vaporized oil mixed with combustion gases essentially lowers fuel octane rating, the truck will arguably make more power all of the time. The truck will never have to pull timing to prevent spark knock. Plus, billet goodies under the hood look good lol.

Wow.

200.gif

Awesome info G man!

Crazy, I always thought he said Brad in the movie above as if you hear it, sounds like he says Brad. Learned something new today.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow.

View attachment 2155

Awesome info G man!

Crazy, I always thought he said Brad in the movie above as if you hear it, sounds like he says Brad. Learned something new today.
I had to go back and watch that scene again. For sure said Brad! Check it out 1:47 mark. It is Brett though if you look it up LOL had to google it.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought it was mostly to catch more dirty oil. That's not the main reason for them?
That is the reason for them. Air/oil separator is the technical name.

Boosted engines have larger ring-gap than NA engines. So by design they are prone to more blow-by and positive crank case pressure. So the inside of these engines will get really dirty without a catch can.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
The JLT (now called J&L) is the cheapest and easiest to reach for emptying so that’s what I bought. The billet technologies one looks way nicer but it’s mounting location is better suited to the Hellcat cars than the giant TRX.

I catch a lot in mine, especially in winter. Seems like a smart mod to keep that junk out of the blower and intercooler bricks.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had to go back and watch that scene again. For sure said Brad! Check it out 1:47 mark. It is Brett though if you look it up LOL had to google it.

I did to, but he says Brett a little longer and it makes it sound like Brad. For years I've been saying all wrong. :cautious:

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The JLT (now called J&L) is the cheapest and easiest to reach for emptying so that’s what I bought. The billet technologies one looks way nicer but it’s mounting location is better suited to the Hellcat cars than the giant TRX.

I catch a lot in mine, especially in winter. Seems like a smart mod to keep that junk out of the blower and intercooler bricks.

How many times do you need to clean it out? Every oil change?

quietpeen

Reaction score
How many times do you need to clean it out? Every oil change?
No set time you have to clean it out, the more the better because you never want to let it get over filled because that can cause problems.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No set time you have to clean it out, the more the better because you never want to let it get over filled because that can cause problems.
My buddy drives a Whipple'd with a built motor Silverado that makes about 1000hp. He let his get too full during a WOT run and basically when the inlet side of the can gets completely submerged with the oil, it sucks the entire catch can dry like a straw. We thought he blew the engine up at the time. But it basically just ingested a half quart of oil at once HAHA.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
In the summer it was a waste of time to check it frequently, but when it got cold here I was slacking and it got damn near full in like a month. Stupid condensation.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the summer it was a waste of time to check it frequently, but when it got cold here I was slacking and it got damn near full in like a month. Stupid condensation.

Why is it a waste of time in the summer? Just never got full at the time, or just to hot that it wouldn't need cleaning?

quietpeen

Reaction score
I will have to make a note to check mine this weekend when the engine is cold since it’s been since dec. 24th that I installed it.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Why is it a waste of time in the summer? Just never got full at the time, or just to hot that it wouldn't need cleaning?
It just didn’t collect a whole lot for whatever reason. Couple teaspoons of oil. In the winter it collects stuff that looks like Starbucks mocha latte, and a lot of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaXiong