Color Matched Mirror Caps

quietpeen

Reaction score
Thought about doing this a while ago and had been watching an auction on ebay for the pair of the mirror caps in billet silver for $64 and never pulled the trigger and they sold out. The same seller listed again and the price jumped $20 and they were close to out of stock again so I figured I better get a set before they are out and the price possibly jumps again. They have not shipped yet but estimated delivery is Wednesday or Thursday so I should be able to install them next weekend.

To be safe for removal I also ordered dent puller suction cups from amazon to get the mirror out so the caps can be removed. From the videos you just put on the mirror a pull straight out and it supposedly doesn’t brake any of the tabs or clips holding the mirror on.

Lastly I figured while I have the mirror apart I will do an upgrade to the side marker lights. These are sequential leds with a smoked lens. I’m fully prepared to have to replace them if they are junk and don’t last 🤣. figured I would give them a shot.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
I really like how those marker lights look, but I trust Chinese lights about as far as I can throw them. Hopefully they don't fog up or just flat die.

Driver’s mirror glass is super easy if you have auto-dimming. The auto-dim stuff makes the glass stiffer and less sketchy to pull. The passenger side…say a prayer. I didn’t break mine using the same suction cups you bought. But it was uncomfortable.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I have auto dimming. Maybe I will use the suction cup on drivers side am see if I can get the other side off by twisting on the tab with a screw driver.

Last edited:

OnTheReel

Reaction score
I think more people have broken them doing that than using the suction cup. But not sure. Thinking neither is without risk. New OEM glass without BSM is pretty cheap at least.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
I think more people have broken them doing that than using the suction cup. But not sure. Thinking neither is without risk. New OEM glass without BSM is pretty cheap at least.
that's good to know that the glass is cheap.

I'm hoping that I get lucky with the chinese side markers. If not it will look good just before winter :ROFLMAO: and get replaced in the spring

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Maybe a nice ceramic coating will improve your chances. At least to reduce the risk of UV fading on the lenses. Not much you can do if they leak or stop working.

Most of the issues I’ve had with Chinese LEDs were replacement bulbs for tail lights, license plate lights, etc. Things that are on for long periods of time at once, and see a lot more heat. These shouldn’t have those issues.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Maybe a nice ceramic coating will improve your chances. At least to reduce the risk of UV fading on the lenses. Not much you can do if they leak or stop working.

Most of the issues I’ve had with Chinese LEDs were replacement bulbs for tail lights, license plate lights, etc. Things that are on for long periods of time at once, and see a lot more heat. These shouldn’t have those issues.
good idea on the ceramic coating. I was going to polish and ceramic coat the color matched caps anyway, so might as well do the side markers at the same time.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Despite being sick I went out in the cold garage and got this done. Well half of it. The side markers didn’t work, but i don’t think it’s a matter of them being defective, but more the design of the plug. I don’t think the pins are even making contact.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
No broken glass at least?
891464C8-255D-44BD-BE47-55463EEF33DB.jpeg

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Yea no broken glass. I used the suction cup on the drivers mirror and pried the tabs on the passenger side.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
I haven’t decided yet. I could probably just cut the plug on the lights down some (The light has the female side of the harness)

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
I have decided to return the lights. Not worth it to me to screw around with modifying the harness to possibly have it still not work, and then not be able to return them.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
on a black Friday Sale I got these from Luxe Auto Concepts. I got the dark gloss. I haven't rushed to put them on yet because it has been cold and I don't want them to fall off. Tomorrow is supposed to get up to 58 so maybe I will get them on and carefully use the heat gun to warm up the adhesive.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
They darkened the lights for 2023 so I installed the new ones yesterday. Looks way better and very inexpensive for factory parts.

0073507B-5D00-4CDC-AC84-285E554A30FF.jpeg
FA16BC2B-77D2-4031-A71D-00004E8FAB2C.jpeg
613FE5F8-97A2-4DA8-B948-5D49E10C565C.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko