Disable AWD

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apparently there are a few ways to disable AWD on the TRX and run it in 2wd mode. Check it out!

From some reading apparently the Z Automotive Tazer can do this too but it is not listed as a feature on their site.

MADDOG

Reaction score
I used some older Z Automotive Tech on my SRT8 that fully disabled the ESP function. As shown in that ^^^video^^^ I had to do a key cycle to reset the ESP function to full operation.

Like that tech I suspect that the products available for the TRX will be detrimental to tire health.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apparently there are a few ways to disable AWD on the TRX and run it in 2wd mode. Check it out!

From some reading apparently the Z Automotive Tazer can do this too but it is not listed as a feature on their site.

Only reason I would do this is to save on fuel mileage. No idea why you would want to otherwise.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only reason I would do this is to save on fuel mileage. No idea why you would want to otherwise.
One does not simply drive in a straight line with 700+ horsepower at all times... I would punish those rear tires every time I drove my TRX if I had one!

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ford did blow it on not putting the V8 back in the 2022's to compete with that! Yeah, I know they "may" come out with the Raptor R, but I bet they really don't care to compete with Ram on this as they are moving to EV with the Lightning. Just wish they did go back to the V8.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ford did blow it on not putting the V8 back in the 2022's to compete with that! Yeah, I know they "may" come out with the Raptor R, but I bet they really don't care to compete with Ram on this as they are moving to EV with the Lightning. Just wish they did go back to the V8.
They really need a coyote based blower V8 in the truck to compete. The EcoBoost is obviously a very stout engine and supposed to be pretty nice with the 10 speed. But RAM nailed it with this one.

As simple as Mopar's performance car philosophy it works wonderfully! (stick the hellcat engine in it)

Too bad they gave the dang Wrangler the 6.4 before us 1500 guys got it though!

tinman454

We want freedom
Reaction score
Sweet, Lol did that all ready in my power wagon tire guy made the mistake of canceling my appointment gave me a whole weekend to drive around on His tires lol it was also the end of breaking in the motor so we tested out the power train well. If it has a week spot or a hemi tick I would have found it.

tinman454

We want freedom
Reaction score
My brother just about shit his pants when I took him for a rip in the field doing doughnuts said I was nuts and no way he would do that in his new Ford lol looked at him and said the best time to break it is the first week u have it. you will have no problems getting it fixed once you tell them your not making the first payment lol

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have any of you guys done this yet? Wouldn't it help gas mileage if you did disable it?

OnTheReel

Reaction score
That video was revealed to be BS. It works, but only if you have the Tazer. I did it once, really don’t see a reason to do it again.

TRX doesn’t have a center axle disconnect, so you aren’t reducing drag much at all. And thus not improving fuel economy. Everything is still spinning.

quietpeen

Reaction score
don’t know how it does, but I have seen that there have been people that ruined the torque converter with forcing 2wd….it might have been on the dyno though so normal usage might not cause problems.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
You def don’t wanna do it on the dyno because there’s still a slight amount of drag in the transfer case clutch. Without the front wheels spinning, clutches would be toast.

raptorusmaximus

Reaction score
If there is a reasonable way to turn off AWD on the TRX , that may change my mind on my bronco raptor order ( that who knows when they will give me a build date much less actually build it ). I despise AWD on a full size truck, on an SUV sure, but not on my truck. I had a 2008 ram with AWD and lemon lawed it cause it went through 3 sets of front gears on 12,000 miles. I swore off any AWD truck after that.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Tazer will definitely disable the 4 auto but I don’t think there is enough data to show if it is reliable. I wish there was published information on why ram did all time 4 auto on the trx and why jeep did it on the 392 wrangler. Does dodge do it on the Durango hellcat and back to jeep. Is the trackhawk all time 4 auto?

OnTheReel

Reaction score
You just have to pull a fuse to get RWD in the Trackhawk. Not sure if that trick also works on the Durango HC.

Tazer is still the only way on the TRX as of now. Or pull the front driveshaft I guess.

I don’t really get the hangup though. Truck would be dog-shit slow in RWD. AT tires and an e-locker ain’t putting 700hp down in a pickup truck. Plus in sport mode I have gotten it sideways plenty in spite of the AWD. Almost put it into a guardrail a couple weeks ago. 😅

quietpeen

Reaction score
You just have to pull a fuse to get RWD in the Trackhawk. Not sure if that trick also works on the Durango HC.

Tazer is still the only way on the TRX as of now. Or pull the front driveshaft I guess.

I don’t really get the hangup though. Truck would be dog-shit slow in RWD. AT tires and an e-locker ain’t putting 700hp down in a pickup truck. Plus in sport mode I have gotten it sideways plenty in spite of the AWD. Almost put it into a guardrail a couple weeks ago. 😅
oh damn, be careful. I will say with the auto 4wd it pulls so hard on a launch.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
The way it hooks is the whole appeal to me. It’ll take out just about anything on the street. Up to a reasonable speed, of course. Trackhawk and a few other niche/exotic vehicles may be the only exceptions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swerve19