Filters Filters Filters, 15 cut and compared

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Worked on this filter test off and on over the last week. Always interesting to see what’s what. I will group them by brand and or supplier to stay within the attachment limit per post.

CA1505DE-3BD0-4B0D-9B0D-32F903DD4257.jpeg

The data chart, sourced from the manufacturer unless noted. Also attached as PDF.

2387AD43-8A7F-4DC2-B65D-487266E6518A.jpeg

Start with the Mopars:

MO-899:
5C671138-BE5B-4F03-BFDC-15AF050817C8.jpeg

Factory equipped. Manufactured by Purolator in USA. It’s the only one here with the bypass on the threaded end. Which is theoretically a slight advantage as when it goes into bypass you aren’t potentially washing the dirty side of the filter into the oil. Pleat spacing is fairly wide and not all that even. The metal internal end-caps aren’t glued extremely tight, it pulled apart very easily compared to the rest. This is not an issue since the spring will hold it together in use, just wanted to make a note of that. No way to verify, but the filter media appears identical to that of the PureOne by any measure. A decent filter but pretty much what I expected, nothing special.

Mopar MO-041:
1739ED91-49B4-4CBF-8BBE-CE5B6C25ED26.jpeg

This is (or was) the OEM+ “upgrade” filter designed for the Viper. Currently not readily available, this review is for an “old stock” version with a new one due in the fall. Made by Wix in Poland. Uses same baseplate, bypass, and coil spring design as the two Wix filters but the overall build quality is better than those two and the can is a bit thicker. Filter pleats are tight and evenly spaced. Filter media looks to be a synthetic blend like most of the others. Nice filter, unfortunately devoid of any specs. SRT engineer was quoted as saying it’s more efficient than the MO-899 and has a higher bypass pressure, but unable to confirm.

Attachments

• OIL FILTER CHART.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Purolator / Mann filters:

Mobil 1 M1-210A:
FF7056EC-48F9-478C-B022-787DDB63F6CC.jpeg

These are now made by Mann & Hummel and share some parts with the Purolators (who are also under that umbrella). Same base plate, ADBV, and dome-end bypass design. Speaking of, I had to call them for the bypass PSI. They said it’s 22 PSI, which would make it the highest here. Good filter surface area and well made. Efficiency is middle of the pack, sold as an extended drain interval filter.

Purolator Classic:
E6BD98C6-6D9B-4EF5-A8F6-98D39B07F0A9.jpeg

This is a budget filter at 5 bucks. I wouldn’t use it on the TRX but overall it’s pretty good for the money. Better than the Fram orange can.

Purolator PureOne:
07DCBF5A-2C46-4CDD-AD9C-44E86D774EDB.jpeg

The PureOne is a good midrange filter. Very efficient and decent build quality. Much like the MO-899, the metal end caps weren’t very tight on there.

Purolator Boss:
614A7330-F4B7-443F-8178-7CC38652B6D2.jpeg

This one impressed me. The thing is a tank. Extremely heavy case and tightly spaced media with no flaws. Synthetic media is backed up by a plastic mesh and is super tough and hard to tear. Geared more toward extended drain intervals, the efficiency isn’t at the top of the pack but still very good. I bought it on sale locally for $9.99 and that seems like a a very good deal for what you get. Very nice filter.

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Fram

Extra Guard PH2:
3A10E9E1-FD03-4DC6-9887-323AD8DD2B41.jpeg

The worlds most popular filter, very cheap with cardboard end caps.

Tough Guard TG2:
B7475B27-27BC-4112-A2BE-D978C0AF87FC.jpeg

This is an Extra Guard with better filter media. Pay the 2 bucks more for the Ultra.

Ultra XG2
987376C0-E4B0-459C-973F-ADF1C1B94C2D.jpeg

This is the most efficient filter on the market, but it’s a Fram so many dismiss it out of hand. Pleat count isn’t as high, and spacing isn’t quite as pretty as some others, but the synthetic media is double layered, wire-backed and flows very well. These filters also have a very high capacity. Well built.

SuperTech ST2, just for laughs:
5745CA99-8297-4633-A819-A072B1CAB02E.jpeg

It’s a Fram Extra Guard, but worse and without any of the upsides (grip coating, silicone ADBV)…

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Champion Labs

K&N HP-2010
B29F45BE-5B68-4D4E-B9B4-13F3625A112E.jpeg

Pretty heavy and well made by Champion Labs (along with the Amsoil and Royal Purple). This one has a synthetic blend media whereas the other two are full synthetic. Unfortunately K&N doesn’t publish efficiency specs, and I feel there are better options for less money. Unless you just gotta have the removal nut!

Amsoil EAO11:
863B9BA2-EFA6-4F1F-B08D-012009AD9204.jpeg

This one surprised me. It’s easily the most expensive filter here, but the only one made in Mexico. Kind of disappointing. I like the media in this filter, it performs very well. Unfortunately the price has recently been raised to $17.90 (or $22.90 if you aren’t a preferred member) and that’s just too much money for what you get. Compared to the US-built Champion Labs filters like the Royal Purple, the base plate is thinner and lighter with fewer holes. Otherwise construction closely resembles the Royal Purple. Filter media is slightly different though which explains the slightly higher efficiency on this Amsoil.

Royal Purple 20-820:
85F67FA2-8B59-4C36-AC1C-774A3A6CAF1B.jpeg

Really nice filter. Wire backed synthetic media, heavy baseplate and good build quality, USA made. And not obscenely priced either. Compared to the very similar Amsoil, you don’t give up much and it’s a downright bargain.

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Wix

Wix 51372XP:
E1E5EC70-F54C-41D8-982D-1CF534DE5B39.jpeg

Overall build quality is good with wire backed synthetic media, BUT it is geared solely toward long drain intervals. As such, the efficiency rating is the worst by far. In the independent test chart it did not do much better than rated. In fact, it was off the scale bad. Unfortunately there are much better options with media that provide good flow, good capacity AND better filtration.

Wix 51372:
CEBAE4E8-B7AD-4C93-97A1-91F9D44B83F3.jpeg

Pleats are fairly evenly spaced, but put together a bit sloppily with messy glue on the filter media along the seam. It’s a perfectly fine filter though. I would use it over the XP based on the fact that it actually filters.

…more data to come later, but that’s all of the filters and some brief thoughts.

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Of the bunch I can sort them into 3 groups (just my opinion based on what I saw, the performance, and the quality)…

Would use:

Royal Purple
MO-041 (currently using)
Purolator Boss
Fram Ultra

Okay, but wouldn’t go out of my way to buy:

MO-899
Wix
Mobil 1 (Boss is better for same $)
K&N (overpriced vs Royal Purple)
Amsoil (terrible value)
PureOne

Would not use:

Wix XP (expensive rock catcher, awful efficiency)
Fram Tough Guard
Fram Extra Guard
SuperTech
Purolator Classic (okay but a little too “budget” for this truck)

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, you put alot into this! Thanks for post it here! So your top one is Royal Purple or are those in the "Would Buy" category put in randomly?

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Wow, you put alot into this! Thanks for post it here! So your top one is Royal Purple or are those in the "Would Buy" category put in randomly?
No particular order on those. I’ll probably end up trying all of them. Have one SRT filter left first.

Justin33

Reaction score
My truck just turned 30k so basically I should be switching to royal purple and redline…crap sorry guys this is more geared toward a 15 express

TRXpensive

Reaction score
Worked on this filter test off and on over the last week. Always interesting to see what’s what. I will group them by brand and or supplier to stay within the attachment limit per post.

View attachment 2826

The data chart, sourced from the manufacturer unless noted. Also attached as PDF.

View attachment 2827

Start with the Mopars:

MO-899:

Factory equipped. Manufactured by Purolator in USA. It’s the only one here with the bypass on the threaded end. Which is theoretically a slight advantage as when it goes into bypass you aren’t potentially washing the dirty side of the filter into the oil. Pleat spacing is fairly wide and not all that even. The metal internal end-caps aren’t glued extremely tight, it pulled apart very easily compared to the rest. This is not an issue since the spring will hold it together in use, just wanted to make a note of that. No way to verify, but the filter media appears identical to that of the PureOne by any measure. A decent filter but pretty much what I expected, nothing special.

Mopar MO-041:

This is (or was) the OEM+ “upgrade” filter designed for the Viper. Currently not readily available, this review is for an “old stock” version with a new one due in the fall. Made by Wix in Poland. Uses same baseplate, bypass, and coil spring design as the two Wix filters but the overall build quality is better than those two and the can is a bit thicker. Filter pleats are tight and evenly spaced. Filter media looks to be a synthetic blend like most of the others. Nice filter, unfortunately devoid of any specs. SRT engineer was quoted as saying it’s more efficient than the MO-899 and has a higher bypass pressure, but unable to confirm.

I'm curious why you chose the Purolator 24651 model over the 12222 model that Purolator's website recommends for the RAM '21-'22 TRX?

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
I'm curious why you chose the Purolator 24651 model over the 12222 model that Purolator's website recommends for the RAM '21-'22 TRX?
For whatever reason, all the manufacturer sites (including Purolator) call for the short / small housing filter that was introduced for the regular Ram 1500 a few years back (due to clearance issues with the electronic power steering). The TRX comes with the large filter from the factory and does not have the same clearance issue. I reviewed filters that all directly interchange with the stock large filter (MO-899). When shopping for filters you have to just lookup for a Hellcat because these companies unfortunately don’t know any better (yet).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaXiong