Let's see those PCs

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
I will post up a pic of mine later today but let's see those monsters :)

Plankton

Reaction score
You mean PC's as in my Ryzen 2950x 16 core?

b6kLoaL.jpg

Speccy specs:

1635172376256.png

I do quite a bit of animation and graphics. Here's a small example:

GndwyxS.jpg

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
The PC's in the Handy House are custom built.

Here's the one in my office. I originally built it in 2004. It's been upgraded MANY times. Right now, it's sporting an old AMD Bulldozer CPU which still does the job. It's got 32 gigs of RAM, 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs for storage. Video is an older Radeon. Soundcard is an older Creative. It's primarily purpose is audio recording and editing. It's connect to a recording deck.

PC04May2018_08.jpg

PC04May2018_10.jpg

This is the family PC. It's got a 32" monitor so my sweetie can play her games online.

PCDesk02.jpg

PCDesk01.jpg

And this is a gaming PC I built for a young lady for Christmas last year. This is before it was complete. It's the only photo of it I have on me right now.

PC30Nov2019_01.jpg

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Oh. I forgot one. This is a "Plex Server" I put together from a surplus government PC last year. I modified the optical drive port to work as a removable HDD bay. But in the meantime, all the movies available on streaming services have really limited the need for my own video server. So this really hasn't been use. I need to install a straight copy of Windows 10 on it and give it so somebody that needs a PC. It should still surf the web just fine.

Also, I've been picking up dead monitors cheap and then replacing the capacitors. In most cases, that fixes them. Then I can give them to friends, family and folks at church in need of one. That's what this monitor is.

ThinkCentre31Dec2020_06.jpg

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Win 10

Case = CORSAIR - Graphite Series 780T Full-Tower PC Case - Black

Power Supply = EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W ATX 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular

MB = Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Master

CPU = Intel i9-10900K

RAM = G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 PC4-28800 3600Mhz

CPU Cooler = CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX CPU Cooler - Black

Storage = Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Video = EVGA RTX 2080 Super ( EVGA 3080 FTW SOON! )

Monitor = Alienware 3440x1440 ultrawide 34" 120Hz

Sound = Sound Blaster X AE-5 Pro Gaming

Speakers = Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround

Mouse = Logitech G903 Lightspeed

Keyboard = Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum

All lit up for my Crappy E A G L E S in Green. And yes this is clean week so excuse the dust. But the case does its job trapping the dust on the edges and filters.

20211025_173722.jpg

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OOOOooo my kind of thread here. Didn't want to move my monitors to get a better pic. They are wall mounted on gas charged vesa mount arms. Really hard to get them lined up again.

IMG_20211025_183310070~2.jpg

IMG_20211025_183323765_HDR.jpg

Gaming rig:
Windows 11
Mobo: Asus Z390E Gaming
Processor: I9-9900K - Overclocked 5.1Ghz - Corsair AIO
Ram: 32gb Gskill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz - tuned
Graphics: Asus 2080 TI OC edition dual blower - Overclocked
Storage: (2x) 1TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVME, (2x) 2TB 870 Evo SATA drives
Don't remember what power supply I have. LOL
I mostly game on this unit but it does really well with my professional stuff too, NX, Mastercam, GOM etc...

I have a couple other work PCs but as badass as those are, they aren't mine haha.

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Since it sounds like the right people are in here, I have a question.

My 13 year old son is looking to get into a gaming PC. Is there a decent PC out there I can get that isnt too expensive that would be good for COD and similar games? Any minimum specs I should look for?

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since it sounds like the right people are in here, I have a question.

My 13 year old son is looking to get into a gaming PC. Is there a decent PC out there I can get that isnt too expensive that would be good for COD and similar games? Any minimum specs I should look for?
How much do you want to spend? Don't need much to play that game at 1080p quality. And at 1080p with a high refresh rate monitor, it will look SOOOO much better than playing on a console.

Look for a PC with at least an i5 processor and 16gb of ram. And I would say stick with a nvidia 16xx series graphics card at a minimum. I can post some links to some lower end but still really nice PCs if you would like. If you have found any that you like, post em and we can let you know if they will work well too.

Here's an example I would say fits the bill well. But it needs the ram upgrade in my opinion. And this was literally a 30 second search so I can find some cheaper options.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? Don't need much to play that game at 1080p quality. And at 1080p with a high refresh rate monitor, it will look SOOOO much better than playing on a console.

Look for a PC with at least an i5 processor and 16gb of ram. And I would say stick with a nvidia 16xx series graphics card at a minimum. I can post some links to some lower end but still really nice PCs if you would like. If you have found any that you like, post em and we can let you know if they will work well too.

thank you! Not really sure what I am looking to spend. We are trying to relocate so not looking to spend a ton right now. What is a realistic price range to be in for a quality one that is reasonable price wise?

haven't looked at any yet. Those specs will help me though! Any brands in particular that I should look at or stay away from? Would we be better off buying a manufactured one or building ourselves, performance and price wise? Also are the graphics cards still hard to find? I heard they were nearly impossible to get by themselves for a while.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
100% do not build one yourself right now. The PC parts market is absolutely insane! For example, when I built my gaming rig a couple years ago I spent about $900ish on my graphics card. Right now IF you can find my same card, it is closer to $2700.

The only real way to get a graphics card is to buy a prebuilt PC. You can spend $3000 on a new RTX graphics card or, you can spend slightly more and get that graphics card in a complete system right now. Check this out. INSANE! On the left is just a graphics card. On the right is a FULL PC with the same graphics card.

1.PNG
2.PNG

I think you should stay in the $700ish price range because that will get you some decent parts that will last a while before coming obsolete. You will be able to upgrade certain pieces as the PC ages too.

I will do some digging and post some cool ones up either later tonight or tomorrow when I get back to my office.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    87.4 KB · Views: 126

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ah, got it. Thanks for the info. That helps a lot and the 700ish range is reasonable as well.

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
I like ibuypower PCs for prebuilt - there are others but these guys have done me well. You can go on their site and find a rig that fits your needs and budget.

I usually build my own and do not recommend that to someone without knowledge try to, due to cost of an ooops and like G said, right now parts are stupid expensive.

Plankton

Reaction score
Buying a system with low end RAM and doing an aftermarket upgrade can save you some money. A few years back I grabbed a Dell G3 laptop that was on sale for around $700, but it had low end RAM (I think it was 8 gigs), so I upgraded it to 32 for about $150 and it's been a decent satellite workstation for when I'm not near my Threadripper PC.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, finding a decent lower-end PC is proving to be extremely difficult. It's weird, higher end systems seem to have gotten a bit cheaper but lower-end systems seem to have gotten more expensive LOL.

Here are a couple good ones I found.

This one is good but it needs some RAM and an additional hard drive. SO like $100 worth of stuff

Still doing some digging though

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Man, finding a decent lower-end PC is proving to be extremely difficult. It's weird, higher end systems seem to have gotten a bit cheaper but lower-end systems seem to have gotten more expensive LOL.

Here are a couple good ones I found.

This one is good but it needs some RAM and an additional hard drive. SO like $100 worth of stuff

Still doing some digging though

thank you, I appreciate the examples with links!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErnieT