S&B initial thoughts & measures

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Got the S&B installed first thing this morning. Install was very simple, especially since I had already been in there once to fit the Super Stock tube. Took a little over an hour. Honestly the hardest part was struggling with the stupid clear plastic lid. Took some wrestling to get it in.

Everything looks and fits good though.
EE7300C5-F98F-4432-960F-9C92FE8F0A15.jpeg

It even clears the UPR catch can which was a huge relief.
F0038FF1-8B0E-4D3B-AF7F-D8E4646FD7F9.jpeg

Driving impressions: The sound with the lid on is identical to the AFE Super Stock. I would have never known the intake was even swapped. It will be noticeable if you’re going from stock to the S&B though. Sounds good. Not obnoxious. Very subtle in auto mode and more vocal in sport when you wind it out.

For some basic testing, I did 5 0-60 Dragy runs with the Super Stock first. Based on Dragy data, ambient temp was 70 degrees, DA was 1682ft. Truck had half tank of 92 octane fuel.

The average 0-60 time with the Super Stock was 4.48 seconds.

After installing the S&B, I drove around a bit to let the truck relearn and warm everything up. I was able to test in very similar weather conditions, and on the same roads. 5 runs, just like the AFE. Temperature was 70, DA was 1666.

I also filled up on fuel before the S&B tests, so the truck was actually around 100lbs heavier. Even still, I recorded an average 0-60 with the S&B of 4.33 seconds. Nice little improvement.

For all tests, I used LC at 2000 rpm. Intake temps were about the same, between 115-125. Coolant, oil and trans temps all at 200-205. IC coolant temp remained consistent too.

I also watched the boost gauge easily hit 11 PSI with the S&B during the runs. I never got over 10 with the AFE in testing, or in regular driving over the last month or two. So their claim of a 1 PSI boost is accurate and lines up with the improvements I measured. Not life changing but there’s worse ways to spend $700 I guess.

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Yeah. Think it’s better than a bunch of screws at least. Certainly looks cleaner.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Yeah. Think it’s better than a bunch of screws at least. Certainly looks cleaner.
yup. My thinking is it would be nice to be a little easier to remove an install so for regular street driving you could ride with the cover off, but when you want to go off-road throw the cover back on to help keep the filter cleaner.

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Alright…
BCE5EA0A-DB38-43FF-9F7C-8FDE545C2CBC.jpeg

It’s definitely louder. But it sounds pretty good and the intake air temperatures weren’t all that much higher. Maybe a 5 degree swing.

I did put the lid back on but for someone wanting a dual personality intake, it’s cool that S&B gives you that option.

quietpeen

Reaction score
thanks for doing that. I like it. I’m sure the video doesn’t sound as good as in person too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
that’s for doing that. I like it. I’m sure the video doesn’t sound as good as in person too.
Yeah, it never comes through quite so well on film. I think it would probably get a little old on the day to day driving but like I said, it’s cool to have that option.

You thinking about grabbing one?

quietpeen

Reaction score
Yeah, it never comes through quite so well on film. I think it would probably get a little old on the day to day driving but like I said, it’s cool to have that option.

You thinking about grabbing one?
Not ready to get anything yet, but the s&b is now higher on the list than it was before.

cmw1100

Reaction score
Got the S&B installed first thing this morning. Install was very simple, especially since I had already been in there once to fit the Super Stock tube. Took a little over an hour. Honestly the hardest part was struggling with the stupid clear plastic lid. Took some wrestling to get it in.

Everything looks and fits good though.
View attachment 3181
It even clears the UPR catch can which was a huge relief.
View attachment 3180
Driving impressions: The sound with the lid on is identical to the AFE Super Stock. I would have never known the intake was even swapped. It will be noticeable if you’re going from stock to the S&B though. Sounds good. Not obnoxious. Very subtle in auto mode and more vocal in sport when you wind it out.

For some basic testing, I did 5 0-60 Dragy runs with the Super Stock first. Based on Dragy data, ambient temp was 70 degrees, DA was 1682ft. Truck had half tank of 92 octane fuel.

The average 0-60 time with the Super Stock was 4.48 seconds.

After installing the S&B, I drove around a bit to let the truck relearn and warm everything up. I was able to test in very similar weather conditions, and on the same roads. 5 runs, just like the AFE. Temperature was 70, DA was 1666.

I also filled up on fuel before the S&B tests, so the truck was actually around 100lbs heavier. Even still, I recorded an average 0-60 with the S&B of 4.33 seconds. Nice little improvement.

For all tests, I used LC at 2000 rpm. Intake temps were about the same, between 115-125. Coolant, oil and trans temps all at 200-205. IC coolant temp remained consistent too.

I also watched the boost gauge easily hit 11 PSI with the S&B during the runs. I never got over 10 with the AFE in testing, or in regular driving over the last month or two. So their claim of a 1 PSI boost is accurate and lines up with the improvements I measured. Not life changing but there’s worse ways to spend $700 I guess.
Thanks for the write up. I’m in split minds - S&B Vs AFe

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I’m in split minds - S&B Vs AFe
They are likely to be evenly matched as far as airflow. My logic was:

1) The AFE seems a little more complicated with two tubes, two filters, etc.
2) The AFE supposedly doesn’t clear my catch can.

On the flip side, the AFE uses nicer clamps and can theoretically be had cheaper if you can find one.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Just ordered one of these intakes with the dry extendable filter. I went to S&B's website and it showed in stock so I jumped before they could sell out :ROFLMAO: Yesterday when I looked on their site it said Backordered, so I feel good that they are actually available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Sweet. I’m still loving this setup. I do still kinda want to order one of the dry filters to swap it out if I know I’m going in dusty conditions. But not a big deal.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Sweet. I’m still loving this setup. I do still kinda want to order one of the dry filters to swap it out if I know I’m going in dusty conditions. But not a big deal.
Did you look to see how much just the filter costs? $139 :oops: Just that made me almost go with the oiled filter, but I wasn't really interested in dealing with washing and oiling a filter.

quietpeen

Reaction score
well son of a...................................... Just got an email:

One or more of the items you ordered is on backorder (see the attached sales order), but the good news is that it should ship within 7 days or sooner as we have greatly increased the amount of parts we can make on a daily basis.
An exception to this would be a few of our Particle Separators and Tanks that may have a slightly longer delay due to a component backlog with our supplier.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and support.

Sincerely,

S&B Filters Customer Service
909-947-0015

Then the sale order says expected ship date of 9/27. Don't show it in stock if it isn't effen in stock.

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
I dunno how many times I’ve been tricked like that but it’s getting old. Most recently crank bolts that are “in stock”…still haven’t shipped.

quietpeen

Reaction score
I'm betting that it is the dry filter that is putting my order on backorder. On their website the oiled version still says in stock, but now the dry filter says backordered again.

OP
OP
OnTheReel

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Could be like me and order the dry but received the oiled anyway. Like I said, I guess I don’t really care as long as I have the intake. Definitely not worth spending the $140 right now.

I figure maybe by the time this one is due for cleaning I can pick up a dry and use it while the oiled one gets cleaned and serviced. I really hate doing it though. I remember over-oiling the piss out of the first couple K&Ns I did back in the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko