Working for free.

grouch

Reaction score
I went over to Lowe's today to pick up some hardware to get a truck back on the road. Mostly vacuum tubing. While there, I was going to get some boxes and tape for spring cleaning. Maybe $10 total. Went to the check out and nobody there. Went down to the Pro desk. Nobody there either. The guy at the self check out waved me to go down there. Plastic only. I don't use plastic, I prefer cash.

I don't use self check outs. I worked in a factory for most of a half century. By checking myself out, I'm taking a job away from some high school or college kid trying to make some money. Possibly a single mom who has no other source of income. In addition, I'm working for free. I don't care for the politics of the owner of Home Depot but they had what I really needed and had cashiers. I went across the street to them.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went over to Lowe's today to pick up some hardware to get a truck back on the road. Mostly vacuum tubing. While there, I was going to get some boxes and tape for spring cleaning. Maybe $10 total. Went to the check out and nobody there. Went down to the Pro desk. Nobody there either. The guy at the self check out waved me to go down there. Plastic only. I don't use plastic, I prefer cash.

I don't use self check outs. I worked in a factory for most of a half century. By checking myself out, I'm taking a job away from some high school or college kid trying to make some money. Possibly a single mom who has no other source of income. In addition, I'm working for free. I don't care for the politics of the owner of Home Depot but they had what I really needed and had cashiers. I went across the street to them.
Yea, it's becoming all "do it yourself" services at these big corporations. At times it is convenient (getting in and out with something small), but I am just like you with cash. I prefer to use cash on every transaction I can. It's sad that a lot of people don't understand what these machines will continue to keep doing to the working market. Eventually, theses places won't need many humans to be in the stores. I also see your view on the Home Depot ownership. Wish politics didn't get so involved in so many items we use/do in our everyday life.

Btw, when I go to hardware store, I like to go to Ace Hardware (Ruggerios here my city) because I believe they are individually franchised and they are always so happy to help everyone.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
Yea, it's becoming all "do it yourself" services at these big corporations. At times it is convenient (getting in and out with something small), but I am just like you with cash. I prefer to use cash on every transaction I can. It's sad that a lot of people don't understand what these machines will continue to keep doing to the working market. Eventually, theses places won't need many humans to be in the stores. I also see your view on the Home Depot ownership. Wish politics didn't get so involved in so many items we use/do in our everyday life.

Btw, when I go to hardware store, I like to go to Ace Hardware (Ruggerios here my city) because I believe they are individually franchised and they are always so happy to help everyone.

I'm with you on Ace. Not much more on cost but they know where everything is and can take you right to it. Unfortunately, there isn't one near me. With fuel over $4 a gallon, I try to keep driving down.

I was watching TV last night and the guy who sells "My Pillow" is fairly extreme on his views and he said the banks were trying to shut him down on the commercial. Between his views and the rumors of mind control devices in his pillows (which I doubt) his sales must be way down. If retailers would leave politics out, they'd be more profitable and wouldn't be annoying people with money.

quietpeen

Reaction score
as inflation increases and the push for raising minimum wage increases I'm guessing you are going to see a lot more of self check out and automated ordering at restaurants.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
as inflation increases and the push for raising minimum wage increases I'm guessing you are going to see a lot more of self check out and automated ordering at restaurants.
Yep. Remember when McDonald’s workers demanded more minimum wage pay and how McDonald’s responded?!? Computer ordering kiosks showed up in every restaurant 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
Yep. Remember when McDonald’s workers demanded more minimum wage pay and how McDonald’s responded?!? Computer ordering kiosks showed up in every restaurant 🤷🏻‍♂️

I very rarely go into McDonald's. They use way too much salt for my taste. It's not that I have anything against McDonald's, I'll usually stop in one when I'm on the road. The corporate standard means they are all the same and you know what you are getting. At first the kiosk was for cashless payment only. Since I pay cash, they had to wait on me in person then. Now that the bugs are worked out, it's actually fairly easy to get your order like you want. I eat burgers plain for instance as the cheese, pickles, onions and such can cover up the taste of bad meat.

The kiosks actually help them eke out fewer employees as they are having trouble, at least locally, getting enough people. The local McDonald's are offering immediate sign on bonuses.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Exactly. Having kiosks actually makes logical sense opposed to having to speak your order. It’s just like ordering online. You add/remove what you want and if the order is not correct, you know it by what the person physically typed/touched in. Being in my 40s I was always under the impression that fast food is an entry level position and not for a career (unless moved into management) and that’s why the term minimum wage is used. Not demeaning anyone that works in fast food, but the skill level of that job is low. It’s great for young adults, etc to get accustomed to work and then move onto something else. The reality of raising minimum wage is just raising everything else too. That’s what some people don’t understand

quietpeen

Reaction score
IMO, raising minimum wage helps no one. The middle class gets screwed the most, but the lower class gets more money but everyplace raises prices or fires employees to cover the added costs so the lower class ends up in the same situation or worse. It is a lose lose situation and I don’t understand why certain people in government can’t grasp that simple concept.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, raising minimum wage helps no one. The middle class gets screwed the most, but the lower class gets more money but everyplace raises prices or fires employees to cover the added costs so the lower class ends up in the same situation or worse. It is a lose lose situation and I don’t understand why certain people in government can’t grasp that simple concept.
100%! Obviously government does it because it somehow benefits them (votes, etc). They probably have never had minimum wage paying job!

quietpeen

Reaction score
In many cases I don't mind using the self check-out though because it's much quicker. I also shop online a lot. Have to get my Prime membership worth. Only problem with that is dealing with all the cardboard boxes.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
In many cases I don't mind using the self check-out though because it's much quicker. I also shop online a lot. Have to get my Prime membership worth. Only problem with that is dealing with all the cardboard boxes.

If there are several check out lines and they are fairly long, I will go through the self check out if I only need a couple of things. It's when they REQUIRE you to check yourself out, and won't take cash, that I have my main issue.

Several years ago, I had a motorhome and it didn't have a TV. I stopped in a small electronics store and bought one. This was when digital TVs were being required because Congress sold off the old air waves. They had lots of smart phones along with other stuff. The final total was $291 plus some cents. I gave them $301 and the change. First they didn't know how to take cash, then they didn't know how to make change (It was $10, I did that on purpose), then the assistant manager had to call the manager to see about giving me my change, then the manager had to tell the asst. manager how to get into the safe to get the money out. All in all, it took the better part of 45 minutes to buy the unit. I was close to walking.

A couple of months later, I drove by and happened to look over and it was an empty store front.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If there are several check out lines and they are fairly long, I will go through the self check out if I only need a couple of things. It's when they REQUIRE you to check yourself out, and won't take cash, that I have my main issue.

Several years ago, I had a motorhome and it didn't have a TV. I stopped in a small electronics store and bought one. This was when digital TVs were being required because Congress sold off the old air waves. They had lots of smart phones along with other stuff. The final total was $291 plus some cents. I gave them $301 and the change. First they didn't know how to take cash, then they didn't know how to make change (It was $10, I did that on purpose), then the assistant manager had to call the manager to see about giving me my change, then the manager had to tell the asst. manager how to get into the safe to get the money out. All in all, it took the better part of 45 minutes to buy the unit. I was close to walking.

A couple of months later, I drove by and happened to look over and it was an empty store front.
Been there! I have done the same thing with trying to get exact change back (coins) and the employee takes the money and looks confused. There has been times where I get my change back plus extra because they didn't know how to calculate it. The really interesting one is when I give a $2 bill to them, they think it is fake every time. Or old bills with small faces on them.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
Been there! I have done the same thing with trying to get exact change back (coins) and the employee takes the money and looks confused. There has been times where I get my change back plus extra because they didn't know how to calculate it. The really interesting one is when I give a $2 bill to them, they think it is fake every time. Or old bills with small faces on them.

I had one recently where all I needed for change was a quarter. I was given 70 cents. The girl behind the counter was SURE that was correct.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had one recently where all I needed for change was a quarter. I was given 70 cents. The girl behind the counter was SURE that was correct.
Lol. So did you just keep it then?

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. I refuse to profit from someone else's mistake, if I can correct it. If I notice it later, well, there's not much I can do then.
Good for you. I asked only because you said she was confident she was right and thought maybe she wasn’t having your correction

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
Good for you. I asked only because you said she was confident she was right and thought maybe she wasn’t having your correction

The way I was raised, if it's not mine, I don't want it. It's paid off numerous times through the years. There have been times I could have profited short term, but I sleep good at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko