TRX Wheeling in North Carolina?

quietpeen

Reaction score
A lot of the trails at Uwarrie are pretty tight. I personally wouldn’t want to take mine there. It was fun with a jeep though

ncironman

Reaction score
I'm trying out Hurricane Creek tomorrow. I have seen a full size RAM do it on YouTube. We'll see how it goes.

ncironman

Reaction score
Successfully took it across Hurricane Creek Trail today. Let's start with the good. It had no problem getting across the trail. I split drive time with my 15 year old son. He loved it. Like everything I read, most of the trail is very easy. There are really only two obstacles, maybe three, that presented any level of challenge. We did about half of the trail in 4 High and then switched to 4 Low on the second half. Much easier to drive in 4 Low using SSC on trails like this. Much much easier. The hardest obstacle (for me) isn't all that technical. It just has a narrow spot to put your passenger side tires with a very steep fall off to your right. Miss the mark and you'll have a very bad day. I wheel a lot and this made me pucker up. Video won't do it justice. Bottom line the TRX never struggled. Not even close. I have the Rogue Off Road level kit and I'm sure that help on approach angles.

I won't call this bad it just is what it is. The TRX is a very big rig for this trail. If you like your paint and don't want tree limbs rubbing it, you won't like Hurricane Creek. It was raining so there was probably more sag in the limbs today but even without that, you're not going to avoid them. Also, the running boards were very much in the way. It has plenty of clearance where it matters. I'll likely switch the stock boards out for something a little more substantial. I am used to wheeling my '84 CJ-7 and '21 Bronco First Edition. Both are better suited for this trail as they are smaller, more nimble in tight spaces, and have better visibility. I struggled all day with sight lines and tight fits. I know that is not a fair comparison.

The TRX is built for speed and wide open spaces. Pretty sure that's where I'll keep it after this adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko