convince me I need a Ram

mikeru

Reaction score
not currently a Ram owner, convince me otherwise 🍿🍿🍿
Just wondering about your motives with this thread. Are you shopping for a new truck, or just trying to stir up discussion? If you’re shopping the best thing for me to do is test drive different brands. No amount of convincing from a forum would influence my buying decision.

OP
OP
doubeleive

doubeleive

Reaction score
Just wondering about your motives with this thread. Are you shopping for a new truck, or just trying to stir up discussion? If you’re shopping the best thing for me to do is test drive different brands. No amount of convincing from a forum would influence my buying decision.
I suppose a combination of both, I have never owned one primarily because the Ram product line has never really appealed to me and that is mostly due to aesthetics I have never really liked the "outer" skin, not because of any bad rap or anything like that, the new 2021 lineup is much more attractive looking, the price isn't so much lol I may as well be trying to buy another house, the mpg is a hard pill to swallow I am not that well off and gas prices are up and probably will be for the "term" but no telling what the future may hold, 700hp is certainly enticing especially for a person like me that loves to drive but that 10/14mpg can be cut in half for me and that would make it not a daily driver but would be fun.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
You are right.. my truck suits the lifestyle we have. ... some like seats that massage and not all the ability.. so many ways to look at it. If you want to tow then any of the big three will do with right configuration but if off-roading is in your blood you have limited choices with brand F and C. The truck I have is not the best at any one thing it's good at everything. That's why I picked Ram/Dodge .. I say Dodge cause I've been driving them since the 80s.. If you can't Dodge it Ram it.. 😛

U.P. Rebel

Reaction score
It really comes down to personal opinion, in my opinion. You're absolutely right mikeru. While no amount of forums could ever convince me to buy any certain product they certainly can convince me to steer clear of something if dozens of random people are all having the same issues. I cruise (like what I did there?) these forums for the bad publicity. For example I learned on my 2011 they were prone to fuse blocks corrosion and fuel pumps quitting leaving you stranded which then led me to the jumper wire specifically made for that issue and kept me from ever being stranded. These forums can be a useful source of information from a collective pool of people that all have one thing in common....we all have or had Mopar products. I've been able to contribute a lot to other forums and it feels good to help out when I can.
Bottom line before dropping any chunk of change is do your homework. Be overly critical. Listen to your instincts. After all it's your money you are spending not ours so do whatever is right for you.
Happy shopping

MADDOG

Reaction score

Do you mean a TRX or just any Ram model?

I've owned a lot of trucks over the years but the Dodges always served me well.

My first was a 1967 Camper Special with the 318 & manual 4spd. It was a beater but it never quit.

After owning 1 Chevy & 1 Ford the next Dodge was a 1989 D250 with the Cummins. Great truck that Dodge rebranded as a Ram but the Cummins back in the day was a bit underpowered. It did have good torque though. I had a couple of electrical issues with it but they were easy to solve.

Another Ford showed up in my driveway but it became problematic (302 V8 with 5spd manual) so from then all it was all Ram trucks including:

1. 1999 5.2L extended cab, Auto, 4WD.

2. 2007 Ram MegaCab, 5.7L HEMI, Auto, 4WD

3. 2014 Ram Crew Cab, 6.4L Hemi, Auto, 4WD

4. 2017 Ram Crew Cab, 6.7L Cummins, Auto, 4WD

I do have to say the 4th generation trucks were the most comfortable of the Big 3 I test drove. The power of the 6.4L HEMI is impressive, especially with a few performance tweaks, but the all around raw power of a deleted 6.7L Cummins can't be believed unless you have owned one.

So why buy a Ram? Comfortable, competitive pricing, impressive power and all around dependable for whatever you use them for.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

mikeru

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying U.P. Rebel, but even the negative threads won’t keep me from buying. It’s expected that there will be people posting about problems they’re having. It’s a forum after all lol. But even something lots of people have issues with are in actuality pretty rare (rear window surround cracks/leaking). It won’t keep me from buying a vehicle.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been a Chevy guy my entire life until I bought my first Ram last year, a 2011 Bighorn. I've fallen in love with the Ram product enough to just drop 60k on a brand new Rebel, a price I said I'd never pay. Take a test drive. The truck speaks for itself I believe. No matter what you buy they are all good products but Ram is my new love.

I guess my question is if you just bought the Rebel, what made you decide to get that rather then a TRX? Price?

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For me and most others owning a Ram has been trouble free, good costumer service, and the only trucks that can do more and go further then me/Ram is a Powerwagon or now a TRX. I live in a extreme place and do extreme things with my Ram with full warranty while doing it. The main reason I have a Ram is because did not have to do anything to this truck to do the off-road, towing and family chores we do. If one has a Chevy they would have to lift it, change the bumper... etc etc.. to even just follow my Ram while hunting etc. The amount of capabilities out of the box on a Ram is more than the same counterpart of F brand and C brand (apples to apples) Would love to here others opinions on this:cool:

So you do own a TRX?

tinman454

We want freedom
Reaction score
As a small heating and A/C shop I have had ever brand of truck and every size they all will break and have some small problems some more then others. I have 3 older trucks one a Ford F-250, one a Chevy 1500 crew cab an another chevy 2500. I kept them because all 3 never needed any repairs or had any problems so to me it all comes down to luck of the draw. Cars and trucks are like people not everyone is the same and some are better than others.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a small heating and A/C shop I have had ever brand of truck and every size they all will break and have some small problems some more then others. I have 3 older trucks one a Ford F-250, one a Chevy 1500 crew cab an another chevy 2500. I kept them because all 3 never needed any repairs or had any problems so to me it all comes down to luck of the draw. Cars and trucks are like people not everyone is the same and some are better than others.

Exactly. Every make or model will get the lemons here and there. Like you said, its the luck of the draw.

U.P. Rebel

Reaction score
I guess my question is if you just bought the Rebel, what made you decide to get that rather then a TRX? Price?
Several reasons the first being price. I'm extended to the max for the Rebel. I paid full price of $63k with taxes and fees. Secondly TRX's are not readily available where I'm at. Don't get me wrong that hellcat makes me drool but its more than I'll never need. Thirdly it was love at first sight with the Rebel. I actually bought it online before I even saw it or drove it! Easiest sale the guy ever made lol

Bambi

Reaction score
I mean. This is pretty convincing to my caveman brain. Volume up. If anyone is in SW Oregon you are welcome to come drive mine.

Bambi

Reaction score
nice that 10/14 mpg would get me about 5/7 though I have a pretty heavy foot
I promise nobody has a heavier foot than me besides one other guy on the trx forum. We are around 7avg. People with impulse control are getting maybe 11-12. It’s only turning 1900rpm at 85mph in OD

Trailmaker

Reaction score
Well, the right one can get you to some cool places! And tow your toys.
94EC7A3D-6AE5-41F6-A175-F878EBCD63C2.jpeg
D822A70F-79C1-428F-8F77-C61282AF09F3.jpeg
A3C2C5EC-4AFE-458C-90BC-13353B72DFC1.jpeg
1A212446-B7BF-4746-9D29-75B954DF1D7E.jpeg
F0AC94D3-85FF-4AF5-9266-FEB1950FFB3D.jpeg

Attachments

• 070D7ECE-875E-4DEB-918D-BD4BCE300761.jpeg
    070D7ECE-875E-4DEB-918D-BD4BCE300761.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 142
  • BB91EB16-02BF-4500-A52B-513911BAFA6D.jpeg
    BB91EB16-02BF-4500-A52B-513911BAFA6D.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 137