Adding Adaptive Cruise Control to Ram TRX

quietpeen

Reaction score
Found out that it is very easy to add Adaptive Cruise Control to our trucks. All TRX’s come with all the needed components so all you need to do is buy the ACC steering wheel switch, install it, then turn on with AlfaOBD.

The part# for the switch is 68309592AD. Next post has info on what is needed to turn it on in the bcm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
For anybody that doesn’t have the software and hardware and wants to dive into this here is what you need. For a 5th gen ram or TRX

the actual app or program is AlfaOBD which can be purchased at www.alfaobd.com and it works on android devices and windows laptops with Bluetooth. This will not work with iOS or MacBooks.

Hardware/ module wise you need:

Security gateway bypass. There are multiple options but you need to bypass the SGW module. One example is this:
or infotainment makes one similar.

Last you need the module to plug into the OBD port to acutally do the programming. The most popular one is the OBDLink MX+

Last edited:
OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Is there anything worth adding via this that the Tazer can’t do?
For me with a base model yes.

Starting with the adaptive cruise control.
Then I want to add the oem bed lights

there are more but those are the two that are in my radar

Last edited:

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Cool. I’ll be interested to see how all that works out. It sounds a bit complicated but I’m not really a computer guy…

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Yeah. I thought I’d use it more than I actually do, but it does work very well.

I know some guys on the other forum added it to theirs. At least the required hardware is there minus the switch. It’s the programming shit I’d get lost in the weeds on.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Yeah. I thought I’d use it more than I actually do, but it does work very well.

I know some guys on the other forum added it to theirs. At least the required hardware is there minus the switch. It’s the programming shit I’d get lost in the weeds on.
I had it on my charger and loved it for highway trips. Yea the $60 switch is all that is needed besides using AlfaOBD to program it.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
I should have all the parts, software, and modules within the next few days to be able to install this. Might wait till next weekend because I have to remove the airbag and pull the steering wheel apart to swap the switch panel and I don’t want to run into an issue and then not have a way to get to work the next day.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Got this done today. Installing the switch is pretty easy. I followed this video on how to.

For AlfaOBD there are two settings.
(VehConfig 2-Cruise Control Preset) set to NO ***make sure do do this 1st
(VehConfig 7-Type of Adaptive Cruise) set to ACC with stop and go

after I did this i let the truck completely shut everything down. When I started it I got errors for the collision warning and the ACC was not recognized. I was expecting this. I had to reset the ECU in AlfaOBD. After the reset my changes were still set and when I started the truck up no codes and ACC was able to turn on.

7CEBB38D-4EA3-43E3-AEF3-E6C068C8036A.jpeg

FD585629-AA0F-46FC-8AE5-22CCCE2F947B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
oh I forgot, for the life of me I could not figure out how to get the horn unplugged from the back of the air bag. It’s not on the video so i just kept it connected and worked around it.

If anybody knows how to get the little %$#@er off please post so someone else doesn’t struggle with it.

Update: In a different video I saw a guy just pull it out. No tab to depress, but I can tell you it is in there tight so make sure you have a good grip on the plug so you don't pull the wires out of it.

Last edited:

tinman454

We want freedom
Reaction score
I bet I could do that on my power wagon it has the same steering wheel and switch I have the forward Cam

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
I believe these are the 4 things your truck has to have for it to work

DASM: Driver Assistance System Module (this would include the camera and the correct windshield on a 5th gen 1500)
HCU: Hydraulic Control Unit (the correct one)
ABS (the correct module)
Cruise Switch (what I added)

For some reason all levels of the TRX have everything installed except the switch and the programming.

Last edited:

mistersir

Reaction score
For anybody that doesn’t have the software and hardware and wants to dive into this here is what you need. For a 5th gen ram or TRX

the actual app or program is AlfaOBD which can be purchased at www.alfaobd.com and it works on android devices and windows laptops with Bluetooth. This will not work with iOS or MacBooks.

Hardware/ module wise you need:

Security gateway bypass. There are multiple options but you need to bypass the SGW module. One example is this:
or infotainment makes one similar.

Last you need the module to plug into the OBD port to acutally do the programming. The most popular one is the OBDLink MX+
Once you connect the bypass module to the security gateway, does the bypass module connect to the OBD link automatically? I purchased both of the recommendations above. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Once you connect the bypass module to the security gateway, does the bypass module connect to the OBD link automatically? I purchased both of the recommendations above. I appreciate the help.
No you will need to plug the Obd link into the Obd port. Then when you open the AlfaOBD software you connect to the Obd link through Bluetooth.

mistersir

Reaction score
No you will need to plug the Obd link into the Obd port. Then when you open the AlfaOBD software you connect to the Obd link through Bluetooth.
Great thanks for the insight. Once I connect the bypass to the security module. I plug in the OBD, connect it to the laptop with the software and good to go. Thanks for getting back to me.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Yes that is the basics. Just be careful. First thing to do, go under statuS/faults and check save log. Then under Active Diagnostic there is a pull down menu. Go almost all the way to the bottom of the list and make a back up file.

Last edited:

NINJA

Reaction score
- TOO COOL!
- Thanks for the detail instructions.
- I have a Level 1 TRX MY23 & wanted to install the “ACC” & also the 360 Surround View.
- It makes me curious why the Front Windshield Camera is installed in those vehicles which are not equipped with ACC.
- Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko