Modded Used TRX

HunterDane

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

About a month ago I bought a ram TRX with every option available save for the chase rack and tire carrier. Original MSRP was 93k, dealership sold it to me for 80k with 50k miles. Thought well seems alright cant find a TRX in kentucky hardly so I'll jump on this. I drove the truck for a short time and noticed some knocking sounds, among other things.
Took truck back to dealership, they explained to me this truck was far from stock. It had livernois products all over the engine, upper lower pulleys, new fuel injectors....the works.
Was even more happy that I found this truck.

They ended up replacing the axel, drive shaft, thermostat, and some parking sensors.
Got the truck back and now the intercooler fan starts om high and doesn't stop, it sounds like a jet engine taking off.
The techs at the dealership can't get into the PCM due to it being locked by whoever tuned it.

Any idea how I can get into the PCM and/or fix this fan back to normal operation?

Attachments

• 20220804_201908.jpg
    20220804_201908.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 153

quietpeen

Reaction score
welcome and congrats on the truck. Unfortunately I don’t know about the PCM. I would imagine they could completely put the pcm back to stock but then the truck would probably run Like shit.

OP
OP
HunterDane

HunterDane

Reaction score
welcome and congrats on the truck. Unfortunately I don’t know about the PCM. I would imagine they could completely put the pcm back to stock but then the truck would probably run Like shit.
That's my thoughts as well, I'm hoping it was tuned by livernois and I could maybe get a remote tune from them to see if it can be fixed? Not many performance shops around my area but I've thought about checking them out to see.
Didn't know if anyone on the forum might Hage some insight

quietpeen

Reaction score
That's my thoughts as well, I'm hoping it was tuned by livernois and I could maybe get a remote tune from them to see if it can be fixed? Not many performance shops around my area but I've thought about checking them out to see.
Didn't know if anyone on the forum might Hage some insight
oh contacting Livernois is a good idea.

OP
OP
HunterDane

HunterDane

Reaction score
oh contacting Livernois is a good idea.
I sent an email, you think they keep a record of all vehicles they tune? Hoping they can check via VIN. Oh well here's to hoping, I'd like to get the truck back to full power and see what it's really making to the wheel with all the parts.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck! If it was me, I would have the truck towed to a reputable tuning shop and have them redo the tune completely. Ideally on an HP tuners setup.

Kind of a scary thought running someone else's custom tuning and not knowing what is happening. Do you have an AFR gauge? Do you know what the timing is like? How much duty cycle the intectors are running at? How much boost the blower is cramming into that engine?

Just too many unknowns

OP
OP
HunterDane

HunterDane

Reaction score
Congrats on the truck! If it was me, I would have the truck towed to a reputable tuning shop and have them redo the tune completely. Ideally on an HP tuners setup.

Kind of a scary thought running someone else's custom tuning and not knowing what is happening. Do you have an AFR gauge? Do you know what the timing is like? How much duty cycle the intectors are running at? How much boost the blower is cramming into that engine?

Just too many unknowns
Thank you for the advice!
Would you happen to know any reputable tuners in the Eastern KY area? I've been trying to research some and it seems like everyone's fairly far out. Would remote tuning be an option? Or do you feel that having them get their hands on the complete truck be the best bet?

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Remote tuning would be an option but your PCM is going to be locked to whatever tuning device was used to tune it. You might have to send the PCM out to have it unlocked again or something like that. Unfortunately don't know anyone local to you. I am not on Facebook but I know there is a high-performance RAM community there. If you have FB might want to post the question there and see if anyone can help you out.

Fireman53d

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice!
Would you happen to know any reputable tuners in the Eastern KY area? I've been trying to research some and it seems like everyone's fairly far out. Would remote tuning be an option? Or do you feel that having them get their hands on the complete truck be the best bet?
I would contact the dealership and see if they would provide you the info of the person they got it from or at least contact them for you.

OP
OP
HunterDane

HunterDane

Reaction score
I would contact the dealership and see if they would provide you the info of the person they got it from or at least contact them for you.
So I actually did this, tra ked down the original dealer and everything. They laughed and said they weren't going to tell me original owner info as it's private.

I said fuck it, I just had the truck picked up by livernois a week ago. Getting there 1025hp set up on it and getting it corrected.

Getting some supporting mods as well cause in the future my end goal is a 426 stroker kit and a 3.0 liter supercharger from direct connection or a whipple.

OP
OP
HunterDane

HunterDane

Reaction score
Nice. That thing is going to rip.
Man that's the goal, the salesman at livernois said they are working on a mock "hellephant" mule. To create a new package, supposedly it's a 426 stroker 3.0 whipple....e85 flex fuel. Said its fleshed out around 1200hp. I know its doable but if they make this a package???? I'll be first to buy since it's what I'm wanting anyways. Love to see how much this truck can handle and do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko