Painting Tow Hooks

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Thanks, I’m very happy with the results. Hopefully they don’t chip up real fast :ROFLMAO: I hated driving around for 4 months without the tow hooks.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Looks great. Now, how much of a bitch was it to get the front ones in and out?

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Not the worst thing in the world. Six 16mm bolts holding on the skit plate, then two holding on the tow hooks. There are some good youtube videos showing it.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Ah, so you can get to them right from under the dune guard. Cool. Have that off at least twice a year when I do oil changes.

Reason I asked was with GMs you gotta pull the bumper. I bought some chrome ones for my Silverado and gave up since I could only reach one without taking everything apart.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Ah, so you can get to them right from under the dune guard. Cool. Have that off at least twice a year when I do oil changes.

Reason I asked was with GMs you gotta pull the bumper. I bought some chrome ones for my Silverado and gave up since I could only reach one without taking everything apart.
Yup. The hardest part is that the one bolt that is extremely long has a retaining clip on it. You have to use pliers to hold the bolt and a hammer to smack it down to get the retaining clip to come out. When i say retaining clip it is like the ones that are sometimes on the lug bolts to hold the calipers in place.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
This is a good video on removing them. It’s a Rebel but it’s the exact same for the tow hooks.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Thanks. Might have to copy you. 😬

Guy I went to high school with has a powder coating shop. He’d let me cut the line and get them done quick. But honestly even just a paint job would be adequate for my uses. Maybe Eastwood 2K.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Thanks. Might have to copy you. 😬

Guy I went to high school with has a powder coating shop. He’d let me cut the line and get them done quick. But honestly even just a paint job would be adequate for my uses. Maybe Eastwood 2K.
I was originally going to get mine power coated from a buddy but he dicked around and I think he had the wrong color. I painted mine PR3 which is Torred Red and he said he had pr3 equivalent in powder and called it flame red which is PR4.

And by all means copy me. I have been copying Jeremy at Retroshop for a while now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
ok today I got the rear tow hooks back on the truck, and another mod at the same time. Diode Dynamics SSC1 LED Pods for back up lights 😁

868045BE-6926-4B99-87C0-0DE7DDA4DD9E.jpeg

AC8317DF-2A39-4DDF-AC90-4BF9941196C0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Looking great! Great job on the hooks. Glad to see the lights installed too. Awesome job!
Thanks!!! Forgot to mention that I wired up the red secondary light to my brakes and turn signals. Weird thing is that they don’t blink at the exact same time as the regular turn signals. There must be a small delay in the trailer harness. I am fine with that though because I wanted a full plug and play installation With no cutting of factory wires.

Shifts And Grins

Reaction score
Thanks!!! Forgot to mention that I wired up the red secondary light to my brakes and turn signals. Weird thing is that they don’t blink at the exact same time as the regular turn signals. There must be a small delay in the trailer harness. I am fine with that though because I wanted a full plug and play installation With no cutting of factory wires.
Very nice. I think someone sent me video the other day of wiring to the brake and turn signals. I'll have to look for it and see if theirs was in sync or not.

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Very nice. I think someone sent me video the other day of wiring to the brake and turn signals. I'll have to look for it and see if theirs was in sync or not.
Let me know…again I’m fine with it, but was shocked to see them not in sync. I imagine they would be if i tapped into the wire at one of the brake lights, but as we discussed i wanted to be completely plug and play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swerve19