The economy.

grouch

Reaction score
Economic discussion tends to creep into the "Gas prices" thread so I figured I'd start this to keep it on topic.

We have a lot of inflation right now. I'm pretty sure the oil companies are manipulating prices. As long as we keep buying, they will keep raising. Before I retired, I dealt with A-5 crude oil a lot. The folks I know from then, including one cousin, say there is plenty of oil. This is the time of year when a lot of refineries switch to more ethanol blend along with working on their cracking towers.

There are a lot of other price pressures upward. We got used to stuff made from Chinesium. Some companies are looking to source products here on shore, but this takes time and when the cheap imports started coming in, a lot of the domestic companies closed up or switched products. Then there are the import tariffs on Chinese imports. They were initiated by Trump but they are by Presidential order and Biden hasn't dropped them.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
I believe that the turnout in November will be big for the right. As a result, the left will lose a ton of seats. All as a result in high inflation and poor decisions on oil.

What is crazy is, we have a “record low” level of unemployment but none of these jobs crate products, because everything seems to be short on supply, or drivers, or train yard workers, and so on. So what are we doing/building/manufacturing?

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
I believe that the turnout in November will be big for the right. As a result, the left will lose a ton of seats. All as a result in high inflation and poor decisions on oil.

What is crazy is, we have a “record low” level of unemployment but none of these jobs crate products, because everything seems to be short on supply, or drivers, or train yard workers, and so on. So what are we doing/building/manufacturing?

While I no longer consider myself a Republican, I keep in touch with friends I made while I was active in the party. Have you looked at some of the people going for a GOP seat? The local folks don't have your high hopes.

The economy will definitely be a factor in the November election. However, just saying something will happen doesn't mean it will.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
While I no longer consider myself a Republican, I keep in touch with friends I made while I was active in the party. Have you looked at some of the people going for a GOP seat? The local folks don't have your high hopes.

The economy will definitely be a factor in the November election. However, just saying something will happen doesn't mean it will.
No it doesn’t mean that but history is repetitive. Pretty easy to guess who will control the House and Senate as it has a trend.
Lincoln was the first Republican President that was responsible for the 13th Adm. but that party does not get the credit

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
No it doesn’t mean that but history is repetitive. Pretty easy to guess who will control the House and Senate as it has a trend.
Lincoln was the first Republican President that was responsible for the 13th Adm. but that party does not get the credit

Lincoln was the first President after the Democratic-Republican party split. As far as the political spectrum goes, the two party's have switched positions.During the Civil War, the Democrats were similar to the Republicans today. The switch came around 1890 or so.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
Want to buy an electric car next time?

Look up CATL, the Chinese-owned, lithium-battery company whose value has skyrocketed since Joe Biden took office.
Guess where there is a gold mine of lithium?
You guessed it! Afghanistan!
Guess who owns 10% of CATL? You guessed it, Hunter Biden!

Guess who is funding the Taliban now? China.____________________
You're starting to see why ol' Pops was so quick to get us out of Afghanistan? Taliban is set to make trillions on selling their lithium to China and the Bidens stand to make billions!

Hard to believe how crooked the Biden Crime Family is and we just sit by and watch it happen.

And hundreds lost their lives during his botched pull-out. But he really doesn't care because he is as evil as they come! His entire regime and family is. The Bidens own 10% of a Chinese lithium ion battery company [Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (CATL)] whose stock has soared.
Reference:

Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited, abbreviated as CATL, is a Chinese battery manufacturer and technology company founded in 2011 that specializes in the manufacturing of lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles and energy storage systems, as well as battery management systems.
This should also explain why the Obama/Biden administration has shut down America's independence of energy and is pushing SO HARD to force electric automobiles down American's throats. Follow the money
"Show me a politician who got rich while in office, and I will show you a crook."
- Harry S. Truman

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
Biden didn't start the pull out from Afghanistan. That and the pull out from Syria were initiated by Trump. Trump didn't really have a plan, he just made a statement and went with it. Biden got stuck with finishing an unplanned retreat. In both cases American military lives were lost that may not have been lost with proper planning.

What credible source do you have for your statement? Fox News for instance is not credible. Prior to the open January 6 Commission, Laura Ingram even stated that they would not show it but cater coverage to their viewers.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
Biden didn't start the pull out from Afghanistan. That and the pull out from Syria were initiated by Trump. Trump didn't really have a plan, he just made a statement and went with it. Biden got stuck with finishing an unplanned retreat. In both cases American military lives were lost that may not have been lost with proper planning.

What credible source do you have for your statement? Fox News for instance is not credible. Prior to the open January 6 Commission, Laura Ingram even stated that they would not show it but cater coverage to their viewers.
Newmax is my go to for news source. Interesting that you had no comment on the rest of the statement but just on the great Exodus.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
The Democratic political theatre was on every other channel; probably a solid business move to air other programming. The American public doesn’t give two rips about unarmed trespassers being waved into the capital 17 MONTHS AGO when they can’t afford to go to the grocery store.

Still waiting for a similar made-for-TV movie to investigate the insurrection that burned Kenosha to the ground. Grew up near there. It’s still a pile of rubble.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
Newmax is my go to for news source. Interesting that you had no comment on the rest of the statement but just on the great Exodus.

To give it it's due, Newsmax does have some credibility. Unlike Fox, it's not foreign owned. Yes, Rupert Murdoch is an American citizen, now, but he's an Australian and was when he bought Fox. As for the rest of the message, it isn't worth comment as it's twisted to spoon feed to the gullible. I do not follow what some commentator says, I was trained in Humint and look at ALL sources. Newsmax does do some checking, more than it's two Right wing companions, but it's still feeding the viewers what it wants them to believe. The claims you refer to have been disproven repeatedly, but keep getting repeated.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
The Democratic political theatre was on every other channel; probably a solid business move to air other programming. The American public doesn’t give two rips about unarmed trespassers being waved into the capital 17 MONTHS AGO when they can’t afford to go to the grocery store.

I must be in a different reality. Unarmed people don't beat police officers unless they are armed with at least clubs. Chants of "Hang Mike Pence" doesn't sound like a "loving crowd". Two police officers, along with one rioter, are dead because of the actions that day. It was a riot and a text book example of sedition because it was an attempt to control Congress.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
You are in a different reality and I’ll leave you there. In the real world nobody gives a shit about January 6th anymore except those who think they can still use it as a political bludgeon. And boy they are. People who were simply trespassing and not violent in any way are still rotting in jail. Hell, people who weren’t even in the building like the Michigan gubernatorial candidate are suddenly being jailed when they pose a political threat to the Democrat party. Trump was impeached for inciting it (even though last night they said it was pre-planned by the proud boys). Apparently 17 months wasn’t long enough to get the narrative straight. Anyway. What more do you suggest being done about Jan 6th while the economy and every other city in the US goes completely to hell?

Justin33

Reaction score
Want to buy an electric car next time?

Look up CATL, the Chinese-owned, lithium-battery company whose value has skyrocketed since Joe Biden took office.
Guess where there is a gold mine of lithium?
You guessed it! Afghanistan!
Guess who owns 10% of CATL? You guessed it, Hunter Biden!

Guess who is funding the Taliban now? China.____________________
You're starting to see why ol' Pops was so quick to get us out of Afghanistan? Taliban is set to make trillions on selling their lithium to China and the Bidens stand to make billions!

Hard to believe how crooked the Biden Crime Family is and we just sit by and watch it happen.

And hundreds lost their lives during his botched pull-out. But he really doesn't care because he is as evil as they come! His entire regime and family is. The Bidens own 10% of a Chinese lithium ion battery company [Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (CATL)] whose stock has soared.
Reference:

Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited, abbreviated as CATL, is a Chinese battery manufacturer and technology company founded in 2011 that specializes in the manufacturing of lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles and energy storage systems, as well as battery management systems.
This should also explain why the Obama/Biden administration has shut down America's independence of energy and is pushing SO HARD to force electric automobiles down American's throats. Follow the money
"Show me a politician who got rich while in office, and I will show you a crook."
- Harry S. Truman
Interesting

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
I talked to my cousin yesterday. He's still working at a refinery. I asked how the new cracking tower was coming along. It's going okay but the extra capacity is now on hold. All the companies saying they will phase out internal combustion engines means the refinery isn't going to expand like they planned earlier. Add in states that want to do away with them, the capacity we have is what we'll have for a while.

Justin33

Reaction score
ICE isn’t just going to disappear jackoff might make us think that but we aren’t even close.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
The “high demand” for EVs right now seems somewhat artificial. Driven up by the automotive bubble in general, absurd gas prices, super bowl commercials, and cheap, easy to make reservations that half the people have no intention or money to make good on. If I want to feel like a good person and impress people I can give Chevy $100 and tell everyone I have a Silverado EV reserved.

Trailmaker

Reaction score

Biden wanting 50% in 7-1/2 years?? Not practical. Not sure how to charge them as they had to shut down part of the electrical grid last February and then had problems getting back up and running. A few of the elderly lost their lives because they froze to death in their house here in Texas last February, so unless we start building a couple of nuclear power plants this summer I don’t see this 50% EV happening as we can’t support that with our current grid. I doubt I would ever get rid of my gas engine even at $10 per gallon. May not be my DD but I would keep it still.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score

Biden wanting 50% in 7-1/2 years?? Not practical. Not sure how to charge them as they had to shut down part of the electrical grid last February and then had problems getting back up and running. A few of the elderly lost their lives because they froze to death in their house here in Texas last February, so unless we start building a couple of nuclear power plants this summer I don’t see this 50% EV happening as we can’t support that with our current grid. I doubt I would ever get rid of my gas engine even at $10 per gallon. May not be my DD but I would keep it still.

The deaths from hypothermia was not restricted to the elderly. Part of the problem in Texas is poor regulation of the energy sector. Not surprising since Texas is where a lot of the energy companies are based. Texas was warned a long time ago about the open market system. To my knowledge, nothing has changed. I remember the picture of power outages in the suburbs of Houston but the high rises downtown were lit up like Christmas.

As for 50% in that time frame, you're right. It isn't practical. Then again, as long as I can remember, hyperbole comes with the office. I don't remember anything from Eisenhower and not much from Kennedy, but from Johnson on, Presidents talk big. Reagan was responsible for my becoming a Republican but a lot of what he wanted never came to pass.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
It would need to be a steady 5% per year of added EV to let the grid grow with it and the Texas oil industry not collapse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko