Electrical problems on '09 TRX4

GrumpyolMan

Reaction score
Hi, first of all I'm new to this forum. I have an '09 TRX4 that's giving me a headache! The other day all my dash lights started flashing and my radio, air, and wipers cut out. When I got home I let it sit for a while then started it and the battery light came on. Put a voltage tester on the battery with the key off and got 12.6 volts. Started it up and the voltage off the alternator was reading all over but in the single digits. Took a trip to Napa and bought an alternator and installed it. Started the truck up and I'm still not showing good charging on the gauge. Shut the truck off and it wouldn't start right away like the battery is dead. Looks like I'm shelling out for a new battery! I also managed to break the lock off the clip that holds on the intake air sensor so Ill have to zip tie that down. I'm getting a code for that now. I haven't found any bad fuses.... yet.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
There is a problem that causes symptoms just like this on the 2002 thru 2005 models. The harness to the ignition switch isn't long enough, and with the movement of the tilt steering wheel, the plug that goes into the ignition switch works itself loose. Often you get sporadic problems just like you describe. It's possible your 2009 Ram might have the same issue. If me, I'd check that plug. And look inside it. It may have burnt terminals from arcing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron