How do we feel about stock brakes?

de-smarted

Reaction score
There's a lot about the brakes. TFL did a tow video down a mountain
, a guy raced Nuremberg
and I'm sure other stories are out there.

I've read other comments suggest that one would need a 20" wheel but there really even much out there.

Also, I've read that some swear by stainless steel lines and better fluid can go a long way.

Curious on your thoughts and if there will be something for us soon enough.

quietpeen

Reaction score
I feel the brakes could be better, but for daily driving they are adequate. I also agree to go better brakes you would have to jump up to a 20” wheel Because the caliper is really close with 18’s.

58FEBCE2-AC90-432E-B092-82F8142C837C.jpeg

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Rotora is making a 6 piston front and 4 piston rear kit that clears the stock 18s. That’s the direction I’m leaning, however it’s just not in the budget right now. I believe they start around 2k per end.
85B50B5E-DA96-412D-911A-DDB0E5BC95BB.jpeg
078889D3-F9BA-44C4-B97A-56964D973857.jpeg
The stock brakes do leave a lot to be desired but they aren’t terrible in day to day driving. Those videos highlight some extreme scenarios.

EBC is also working on pads for our trucks which may be a good cheap option.

quietpeen

Reaction score
wow that is impressive that they are making 6 piston calipers to fit 18" wheels.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s what I said. Would like to see some real world feedback once people install them.

They also offer an even bigger kit that requires 20s.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s what I said. Would like to see some real world feedback once people install them.

They also offer an even bigger kit that requires 20s.
I have a feeling the bigger kit will have less brake fade because the rotors will have more surface area to dissipate the heat.

OP
OP
D

de-smarted

Reaction score
I have a feeling the bigger kit will have less brake fade because the rotors will have more surface area to dissipate the heat.
Good point on the brake fade. I'm also considering a 20" wheel that I like but wouldn't mind a little more rubber without risking stock suspension. I didn't see a post on this but was curious on what was the biggest tire that could fit without spacers or altering the suspension.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If anyone is interested I am sure we can have R1 Concepts make a big brake kit for the TRX. They make a great BBK and I am sure would be a tremendous upgrade to the TRX. It will get the stopping power on par with the HP!

Creamsicle

Reaction score
The stock brakes feel great for DD duties. Lots of bite and a solid pedal feel. I haven’t bothered to test repeated high speed stops as, with the weight of the vehicle, the results are pretty obvious.

Two piece rotors in a larger diameter could cut weight AND improve heat capacity if users will move past 18” wheels. Seems that off-road drivers, however, are adamant that the 18s are the best option for that application.

quietpeen

Reaction score
The stock brakes feel great for DD duties. Lots of bite and a solid pedal feel. I haven’t bothered to test repeated high speed stops as, with the weight of the vehicle, the results are pretty obvious.

Two piece rotors in a larger diameter could cut weight AND improve heat capacity if users will move past 18” wheels. Seems that off-road drivers, however, are adamant that the 18s are the best option for that application.
Having owned a jeep that i wheeled regularly I can attest that the more sidewall with aired down tires is much better for traction and comfort.

however this big truck is made for a different application that I used the jeep for.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
I’m pretty adamant on sticking with the 18s myself. The stock tires are actually really good. Fairly quiet. Great in snow and most off road scenarios I’d find myself in. And not too terrible in the twisties either.

MO VietVet

Reaction score
Do these trucks come with synthetic brake fluid or not? Do they have vacuum assist or hydro boost?

quietpeen

Reaction score
Agreed with the tires. Surprisingly smooth and quiet for such monstrous rubber. Snow grip is awesome too.
On this truck I actually like the look of 35’s on 18” wheels which is why my new wheels are 18’s with stock tires, where as my 2016 ram 1500 i liked the look of 34’s on 20’s. Not sure it is because of owning the jeep with 37’s on 17’s or just because the trx is more aggressive looking. Since I don’t plan to try to off-road this truck like I did the jeep I wouldn’t be opposed one bit to upsizing to 20’s to make room for an oversized brake kit. My 392 daytona charger had 6 piston brembos and wow were those brakes impressive.

Last edited:

MO VietVet

Reaction score
Dot 3 is not synthetic fluid and a hydro boost set up would help with the brake feel. I had a 2002 Tahoe with vacuum assist and now have a 2005 Tahoe with hydro boost and the difference is like night and day. Six piston calipers would also help as well.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
When I replaced the brakes on my 2014 Ram 2500 after 5 years of service, the first thing was to see what kind of upgrades there were. After researching the upgraded brakes I was looking at I came to the understanding that they would be not a good choice for the type of off-roading we do. So I went with the OEM again. When this truck is in 4 low and drive it has a hard time holding the truck on the spot so now I'm wondering what will happen when the Ram has it gears changed from 4.10 to 4.88, maybe I should of looked at an upgrade on brakes? If anyone has inputs on that would be interesting.

quietpeen

Reaction score
i think in general there are aftermarket pads that work better than oem. When mine wear down I will look at what is the most popular for the TRX at the time and do their pads and rotors. i put powerstop pads on my charger and liked them a lot.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
i think in general there are aftermarket pads that work better than oem. When mine wear down I will look at what is the most popular for the TRX at the time and do their pads and rotors. i put powerstop pads on my charger and liked them a lot.
I was looking at the power stop brakes too .. and totally agree those would awesome on a charger.. but from my research those brakes don't like mud or I should say drilled and slotted rotors are not a good fit for Offroad .. this is where I'd like to hear others opinion or experiences. I think what I should be looking at is the size of the calipers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron