Raptor vs TRX

Trailmaker

Reaction score
That's a sick bed cover... what brand is it?
Diamondback. Bought one for my last 3 trucks to haul a 4wheeler on top of.
9BB89975-2DDD-44FD-A53F-BF89C0BCA7DB.jpeg
11BEEC2D-7C12-423C-9CEE-FB003E97E6B5.jpeg
CDF0B9A8-BD6A-4FF8-B304-CC6ED77E1093.jpeg

APEX REX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regarding the TRX vs. Raptor discussion...I bought a Gen 1 Raptor in 2011 and then a Gen 2 in 2018. I did extensive offroading all over the country and was praying Ford would come back with a V8 in the Gen 3. Once that dream was crushed and on top of that they also discontinued the Scab body (Both my Gen 1 and Gen 2 were Scabs) I decided to take a look at the TRX with an open mind. I did my homework and bought one a month later with no plans of selling the Raptor. Three months later and I have not driven the Raptor once. I think that says everything. I love this beast, it fills my need for a V8 like the Gen 1 but gives me everything updated and easily the nicest truck interior I have ever seen.

trx and raptor.jpg

Trailmaker

Reaction score
Regarding the TRX vs. Raptor discussion...I bought a Gen 1 Raptor in 2011 and then a Gen 2 in 2018. I did extensive offroading all over the country and was praying Ford would come back with a V8 in the Gen 3. Once that dream was crushed and on top of that they also discontinued the Scab body (Both my Gen 1 and Gen 2 were Scabs) I decided to take a look at the TRX with an open mind. I did my homework and bought one a month later with no plans of selling the Raptor. Three months later and I have not driven the Raptor once. I think that says everything. I love this beast, it fills my need for a V8 like the Gen 1 but gives me everything updated and easily the nicest truck interior I have ever seen.

View attachment 220
Have you been offroad in the last 3 months? I have an 18 as well and I know the 21 is the best model to compare to, but if the TRX comes short compared to the 18 Raptor off road, then the” Improved Gen 3” should easily be superior off road. Im just asking your opinion if you did take the TRX off road.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

View attachment 220
I thought for sure the gen 3 raptor would have been a V8 too. Interesting to hear on how you haven’t driven your raptor since your TRX purchase. Ram did a great job getting in this specific market.

APEX REX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you been offroad in the last 3 months? I have an 18 as well and I know the 21 is the best model to compare to, but if the TRX comes short compared to the 18 Raptor off road, then the” Improved Gen 3” should easily be superior off road. Im just asking your opinion if you did take the TRX off road.

I have not as of yet but look forward to. As far as my Gen 2, my suspension upgrades exceed that of a stock Gen 3 so it will be a great comparison. At the same time, I am OK if the Raptor is better off-road compared to the TRX since that only occupies a small overall % of my seat time and on-road there is no comparison between the two.

APEX REX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought for sure the gen 3 raptor would have been a V8 too. Interesting to hear on how you haven’t driven your raptor since your TRX purchase. Ram did a great job getting in this specific market.

Agreed. Yes, the R will be coming but let's be honest, the ADM on them is going to be stupid and they are going to be few and far between. It will be worst than the GT350Rs.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
I have not as of yet but look forward to. As far as my Gen 2, my suspension upgrades exceed that of a stock Gen 3 so it will be a great comparison. At the same time, I am OK if the Raptor is better off-road compared to the TRX since that only occupies a small overall % of my seat time and on-road there is no comparison between the two.
I hope you report back when you do.

I’m not 50/50 on/off road, but I do log some off road miles each month. So, in this comparison of Raptor vs TRX I am of the minority that the better off road truck will most likely be in my driveway next month.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

View attachment 220

Your Raptor setup looks awesome! I was always curious as to way have amber(yellow) lights and not the normal leds?

APEX REX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your Raptor setup looks awesome! I was always curious as to way have amber(yellow) lights and not the normal leds?

Great question, White light generally sucks for offroading due to the dust kick-up. The same goes for snow/winter conditions. White light reflects back at you, but not Amber. Amber light cuts through dust and snow reflection. Blue light also works in that capacity, but if you forget to turn your lights off and a cop sees you, it may not end well. Amber is great for all conditions and won't get you in trouble with the popo.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great question, White light generally sucks for offroading due to the dust kick-up. The same goes for snow/winter conditions. White light reflects back at you, but not Amber. Amber light cuts through dust and snow reflection. Blue light also works in that capacity, but if you forget to turn your lights off and a cop sees you, it may not end well. Amber is great for all conditions and won't get you in trouble with the popo.

Awesome! I have done my fair share of off roading but never with a group, so the dust was never an issue. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

200.gif

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome! I have done my fair share of off roading but never with a group, so the dust was never an issue. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

View attachment 237

Its important to have ambers when in groups. @APEX REX hit the nail on the head. I had cubes on the rear of mine that were white so i can use them for back up lighting if needed and then put amber lenses on them for runs.
_nc_ohc=2oHpI1DIMKkAX_Imy0i&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

X9GsfVW&tn=gUGxiBkHw7wt8Swm&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

Trailmaker

Reaction score
looks like you guy are having christmas in the summer Lol nice trucks. That tree sure looks funny with no snow on the ground.
Haha. That’s last year’s tree. We (my family) go every year the day after Thanksgiving to the tree farm and cut one down.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
Got a cut in my “leather seat” yesterday on the Raptor… yeah it’s all vinyl. What kind of seats are on the TRX?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron