Raptor vs TRX

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Who has driven both and what are the most noticeable differences? I've driven Raptors, but yet have been in a TRX. 0-60 get up is clearly one. I love the interior space of Raptor. Is space similar?

Jayson in Arizona

Reaction score
So I have not driven a TRX yet but I have done some research and I can honestly say as a Dodge guy I'm slightly concerned with one aspect of the new truck. The front differential is open with no limited slip option available. To me this is a red-flag for a 70 to 90k off road performance rig. Now, that being said I can attest that the brake modulation on y ram 1500 4wd I current drive is nothing short of amazing. I have been in absolutely zero conditions where I did not have power to both front wheels at all times using this system. So I guess the real question is if the TRX wo a front limited slip is as good or better than the Raptor with the front limited slip option. I think that anyone who really knows off roading and trucks in general will come to this question very quickly as fancy shocks and decals will do nothing to transfer power to the tire in need wo a traction management system that is capable and effective.

Anyone have any input on this topic?

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I have not driven a TRX yet but I have done some research and I can honestly say as a Dodge guy I'm slightly concerned with one aspect of the new truck. The front differential is open with no limited slip option available. To me this is a red-flag for a 70 to 90k off road performance rig. Now, that being said I can attest that the brake modulation on y ram 1500 4wd I current drive is nothing short of amazing. I have been in absolutely zero conditions where I did not have power to both front wheels at all times using this system. So I guess the real question is if the TRX wo a front limited slip is as good or better than the Raptor with the front limited slip option. I think that anyone who really knows off roading and trucks in general will come to this question very quickly as fancy shocks and decals will do nothing to transfer power to the tire in need wo a traction management system that is capable and effective.

Anyone have any input on this topic?
That's quite interesting. How often do you take your 1500 offroading and where do you go mostly?

Jwil

Reaction score
I think that anyone who really knows off roading and trucks in general will come to this question very quickly as fancy shocks and decals will do nothing to transfer power to the tire in need wo a traction management system that is capable and effective.

100%. I think the main target for this truck is those folks who can afford the sticker price, but will most likely let it sit in the driveway. Anyone who's that serious about off-roading is going to buy a truck and modify the hell out of it anyways. Personally, I'd love to see a bare-bones truck that comes with the hellcat motor, 4wd and an upfitter module. I don't need the decals, suspension, wheels n tires etc., I'd rather customize all of that myself, assuming I had enough cheddar to do so lol... but you catch my drift (pun intended)

Trailmaker

Reaction score
Having a Power Wagon and a 2 Gen Raptor is the closest I can come to answer the OPs questions.
The interior on both is a wash to me as the PW had less painted plastics but the “leather steering wheel” had to be replaced at 8k and again at 40k so there’s that.
The suspension was always better on Ram till the 3rd Gen came out. Now Ford caught up some. Though the live valve Shocks are amazing on the trails at high speed.
I have used the Raptor to pull my tractor out of the pond and all 4 wheels dug in and to get it out. So the front not being able to lock in seemed not to be an issue this time.

Ride height on the TRX looked closer to my preference then the Raptor but… big but, will the Raptor corner better without flipping over since center of gravity is a few inches lower?

Jayson in Arizona

Reaction score
That's quite interesting. How often do you take your 1500 offroading and where do you go mostly?
I go offroad fairly often, Id say 3 or 4 times a month on average. I spend some time in Sycamore Creek because I grew up riding quads out there and its just a big vast open spot to do whatever you want. They have hill climbs, mud, water, you name it. I also have a family cabin up North on the rim and I frequently drive through the snow just to get to the cabin. I have found that snow/ice is the best test of diff's and posi units because you typically have the same junky conditions (snow and ice) at all 4 wheels. When going on a steep uphill and icy covered road my ram still has traction at all 4 corners, all of the time. It does have the factory anti spin rear diff but the front is just how it came stock, open with the brake limited slip programming. I noticed how well this works on my Ram only because all of my previous trucks were Chevy's and they were always 3 wheel drive! Not trying to bust on the GM guys because I like those trucks also but their traction control for the open front diff is junk, totally useless. Thats why the Dodge system surprised me so much, this is my first Ram truck.

Do you know of any cool spots to check out in the AZ?

Jayson in Arizona

Reaction score
Having a Power Wagon and a 2 Gen Raptor is the closest I can come to answer the OPs questions.
The interior on both is a wash to me as the PW had less painted plastics but the “leather steering wheel” had to be replaced at 8k and again at 40k so there’s that.
The suspension was always better on Ram till the 3rd Gen came out. Now Ford caught up some. Though the live valve Shocks are amazing on the trails at high speed.
I have used the Raptor to pull my tractor out of the pond and all 4 wheels dug in and to get it out. So the front not being able to lock in seemed not to be an issue this time.

Ride height on the TRX looked closer to my preference then the Raptor but… big but, will the Raptor corner better without flipping over since center of gravity is a few inches lower?
Hey sir, just to clarify on your comment of all 4 wheels digging on your Raptor when you pulled out your tractor - that is the Fords strong point as they have a Torsen Limited Slip up front and the TRX is an open front diff, I personally think the programming for the traction control on the Dodge's works exceptionally well but that is yet to be determined on the TRX.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
I want to believe the engineers really made a good choice on the front axle but the locking differential was a key item that drove me to buy the Power Wagon. Being a Jeep owner, I loved to be able to lock in. Though the TRX has a different purpose, I’m sure they made the right choice for the masses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

This is a fun trail, but not challenging. Most likely you have heard of it, but it’s close to Queen Creek (as stated on your profile).

Trailmaker

Reaction score

1477D143-97AE-44F9-89A7-D8D75041E451.jpeg
E3C228A7-D2AE-47DB-8E52-D8D6820154D7.jpeg
FF2CDA6F-4231-4B1E-AF6A-1335DC138BB5.jpeg
8911302E-15D4-4B52-8FA5-E19F8C448F59.jpeg
D86EA49E-3C43-492A-A465-2A7B7D8D0607.jpeg

HandyCruiser

Reaction score

I suspect the addition of a Hellwig sway bar might make the TRX handle even better. Currently, it appears the TRX does not come from the factory with any rear sway bar.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
I suspect the addition of a Hellwig sway bar might make the TRX handle even better. Currently, it appears the TRX does not come from the factory with any rear sway bar.
Right. It’s to optimize articulation in the rear. Though maybe one has been engineered to give the best of both worlds?!

Trailmaker

Reaction score
Here's a chart with some spec's:

View attachment 83
The 2021 Raptor is a little different in almost every box with their new Gen 3. Like the payload got a little bump.( one of the more important boxes to me)
When I lived in Colorado, I was most concerned about ground clearance and suspension travel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron