Current gas prices in your area

Justin33

Reaction score
I’m at the point where I may just go back to 87 in my express. Guys on ramforumn had said book said 89 swapped to that but this is getting silly.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Just got robbed today.
2498B083-AB1A-4CA4-BAC0-11E5389D4B98.jpeg

quietpeen

Reaction score
I can't give you a simple straight forward answer because frankly I don't know 100%. You hear a lot of stuff and see a lot of stuff on forums. Unfortunately not all of it is correct or is only partially correct.

One of the things I have seen on forums is that there is recommendation for gas and there is also requirement for gas. IE. TRX requires no less than 91 octane. I think Ram recommends 89 for the 5.7 but doesn't require it. Disclaimer: This might not be correct or might only be partially correct.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
I'm going to fill my tank today because it is down to half tank. I have 60 cents off at Giant Grocery which sounds nice except for the fact that premium is $5.55 so I'm still going to pay more than you just did.
Wow, that’s pretty bad. Sam’s came through for me. It was $5.39 in town and $4.79 there. Well worth the trip.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
The higher the octane, the greater the resistance to detonation (often called knock or ping). Engines with higher cylinder pressures (such as boosted or high compression engines) need higher octane fuel so the fuel doesn’t ignite under pressure in the cylinder before the spark plug even fires. That can lead to a lot of damage.

Engines have knock sensors that can catch the detonation before it becomes an issue, and cope with the lower grade fuel by retarding ignition timing within reason. Since they do only “recommend” 89 for the 5.7, it would lead me to believe there is a performance and economy benefit in running higher grade fuel, but no harm would be done if you run 87. The engine can likely pull adequate ignition timing to run satisfactorily on 87. Only caveat would be if you’re pulling heavy or operating in very hot weather…I think the mid-grade would be a good idea to maintain good performance and a bit of a safety margin.

With the 6.2 or any other boosted or high compression engine, you can really run into trouble not running premium as there is simply not the safety margin needed. The cylinder pressure of this engine under boost is far too high avoid detonation issues on lower grade gas. The old “pull timing” trick has it’s limits before you start burning valves and cats, or the engine just doesn’t run at all. So you can’t count on the computer to defy physics and save your ass.

As long as you mind the distinction between recommended and required, you’re okay.

grouch

Reaction score
Filled up this morning and paid $4.28 at Costco. Had to run across the river to deal with some storm damage and 10 miles from my house it was $3.85. Needless to say, no room in my tank.

grouch

Reaction score
Went to Kentucky yesterday to fill up. Enough lower to pay for the extra 10 miles out of the way. I happened to look up at the price for diesel. Cash price was $4.99 and credit was $5.19. This is why I don't use plastic anymore than I have to. Those "Cash back" offers are because you're paying more to begin with.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this what the rest of us are gonna eventually be at??
864CA7BD-6A5A-4A54-8C53-205B9CC15805.jpeg

grouch

Reaction score
Is this what the rest of us are gonna eventually be at??
View attachment 3055

Eventually, people will begin to reduce their driving. Then prices will tank as the oil companies will have boosted production to cash in on the boom of prices. It's happened before, albeit not as extreme s current prices. If and when Putin decides to take his marbles (if he hasn't lost them) and goes home, oil will probably drop by $20 per barrel.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
The most expensive light you will see on a vehicle isn’t “check engine” anymore.
16E7AB37-FBD7-4763-962C-A07EECDD06AE.jpeg

9026FDAB-BD43-4FD8-8B2B-78C64AE36216.jpeg

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Definitely one of the most expensive fill ups I remember doing on something other than a boat. At least since 2011 when prices were also very high and I had a 2500 Cummins with a huge tank. Not good.

grouch

Reaction score
Going back over previous missives, it looks like fuel has gone up nearly 33% in the last two weeks. One has to wonder why as there isn't a shortage. It's up 100% over the last 3 months. (Double the price.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron