Reverse Lights For TRX And 5th Gen 1500's Running Our Tow Hook Brackets

quietpeen

Reaction score
Keep us posted on your findings as well.
will do. I would have had it done already but like an idiot I pulled one of the wires out of the deutsch connector. Then broke the plastic retainer clip trying to get it off. I'm waiting on the mail to deliver a new connector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shifts And Grins

Shifts And Grins

Reaction score
will do. I would have had it done already but like an idiot I pulled one of the wires out of the deutsch connector. Then broke the plastic retain clip trying to get it off. I'm waiting on the mail to deliver a new connector.
It’s always something. I love when it goes flawless though.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
I hope to be able to test this soon. I am also making a harness from a Curt Adapter however I got the one with the 4 plug, not the 5 plug. I am pulling the reverse from the center wire on the 7 pin. Instead of using the back lighting on the SSC1 as running lights I am wiring them up as brake and blinker.
I thought about having the backlights do brake and turn signal instead, should be pretty cool and look forward to seeing how it all works.

Ultimately I’m just doing the parking lights for simplicity. I have already overcomplicated this beyond belief in my own mind. Not to mention the stereo project. And two other things I’ve got cooking for the TRX and the community…

OP
OP
Shifts And Grins

Shifts And Grins

Reaction score
I thought about having the backlights do brake and turn signal instead, should be pretty cool and look forward to seeing how it all works.

Ultimately I’m just doing the parking lights for simplicity. I have already overcomplicated this beyond belief in my own mind. Not to mention the stereo project. And two other things I’ve got cooking for the TRX and the community…
It’s easy to get carried away but brake and turns should be pretty easy to wire up.

OP
OP
Shifts And Grins

Shifts And Grins

Reaction score
First 200 sets dropped off at powder coat today. He said I will have them back "some time next week" but wasn't sure what day yet. We will start shipping them as soon as we get them back. I will do install instructions as soon as I get the Ignition Edition Truck back as well. I am hoping to have them done and on the webpage and hopefully youtube before everyone starts getting their brackets. We will also get the plug and play option finalized when we do that install. We will do instructions for with and without plug and play. Let us know how else we can help you all. Thank you all for the support!

IMG_0732.jpg

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Super stoked with how these came out. I cheated just ran them right off the trailer plug. NO ILL EFFECTS, NO GOOFY ISSUES WITH THE TRUCK THINKING THERE’S A TRAILER.

@Shifts And Grins If you want to use any of these pics for your site, that’s cool with me.

3FA013EE-9DB6-4402-AFD7-89746C7789B5.jpeg
292AF9A9-E3F6-432D-8469-47B02178F4EC.jpeg
8A49E280-625A-4908-9EDA-3DCE996C836A.jpeg
34ADCECF-9F76-4A86-8D17-52542D5545DB.jpeg
FA2186E4-1D6E-40C8-82B2-9B80AB41A4C9.jpeg
69D3A0D4-CFC3-4883-9CC1-FB33AE8649AA.jpeg
98EBEC72-A332-496D-8699-4476A315131A.jpeg
BC213FAE-D1C2-42B0-8958-3CAB008FD909.jpeg

I left some room in the wiring to add in the ability to tie into the aux switch at a later date. It’s been so flippin cold here I didn’t wanna spend the whole day outside on it. But this is the harness I made. Tucks away nicely and zip tied to existing wiring. If you sell with a similar pre-made harness this job could easily be done in 45 minutes. Took me about double that.
9A5B7A72-6496-4596-8B76-9623F680E780.jpeg

OP
OP
Shifts And Grins

Shifts And Grins

Reaction score
Super stoked with how these came out. I cheated just ran them right off the trailer plug. NO ILL EFFECTS, NO GOOFY ISSUES WITH THE TRUCK THINKING THERE’S A TRAILER.

@Shifts And Grins If you want to use any of these pics for your site, that’s cool with me.

View attachment 2895View attachment 2890View attachment 2889View attachment 2888View attachment 2887View attachment 2891View attachment 2892View attachment 2893
I left some room in the wiring to add in the ability to tie into the aux switch at a later date. It’s been so flippin cold here I didn’t wanna spend the whole day outside on it. But this is the harness I made. Tucks away nicely and zip tied to existing wiring. If you sell with a similar pre-made harness this job could easily be done in 45 minutes. Took me about double that.View attachment 2894
I will definitely be using these with your blessing. Glad to know it doesn't think the trailer is hooked up. I made a few of the plug and play harnesses but I am waiting to get the customer's TRX and another customer's Rebel in to test it.

OP
OP
Shifts And Grins

Shifts And Grins

Reaction score
Here is an Amazon link to the harness I started with.

Below is a wiring diagram for the 5 flat trailer harness that is part of the link above.
IMG_0806.jpg

Next is the wiring diagram and a photo of the wiring harness the kit already comes with.
IMG_0655.PNG
IMG_0656.PNG

To start, take your Curt adapter harness which will be the Plug and Play portion of the harness and locate the connector that has five wires and a flat connecter.
IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0810.jpg

Cut the blue and brown wires in this harness. (Note the wiring diagram above shows the blue as purple). Next I stripped the wires and slipped heat shrink tubing over the wires. I crimped the male ends on to the wires and then soldered them as well. You don't have to solder them but I always prefer to. After crimping and soldering the male ends on to the blue and brown wires, I slid the heat shrink up and heated it up to cover the soldered end.
IMG_0812.jpg
IMG_0813.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg

Next I removed the unused wires and plug from the harness by removing the plastic loom that came on the harness and cutting them short near the connection points. I placed heat shrink over the ends and heated them up. The last thing I did to prepare the harness was slip some Alex Tech Expandable Sleeving over the wires and used electrical tape and heat shrink to secure the ends of the expandable sleeving over the wires.
IMG_0817.jpg

Your plug and play harness is now built. Now onto the install.

Disconnect your connector that plugs into your trailer light plug behind the bumper on your truck. Plug the trucks wiring harness into one side of your new plug and play harness and the other side of your plug and play harness to the trailer lights connector on the back side of your bumper. Now take your Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Wiring Harness and plug the Yellow Wire from your Diode Harness into the Blue Wire of you plug and play harness. Plug the Blue Wire of your Diode harness into the Brown Wire of your Plug and play harness. (I know, I know it feels like Blue should connect to blue to me as well but I am working with two harnesses from two manufacturers so in this case Blue DOES NOT connect to blue. Sorry ladies and gentlemen.)

Now you can connect the plugs on your Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Harness to your Lights. Run the rest of the harness to the front of the truck. You have a few options at this point.

Option 1:
You can hook up the power and ground wires respectively from your Diode Dynamics harness and coil up the remaining wires and switch and be done. If you leave the switch in the center neutral position your lights will work automatically.

Option 2: You can do exactly as you did above but route the wires inside the truck and mount the switch at your desired location inside. This will give you the option to have the lights work automatically when the switch is in the neutral position, Turn on the white main beam by flipping the switch to one position or manually turn on the red back lights by flipping the switch the opposite position.

Option 3: You can ditch the switch with Diode Harness and wire in to the auxiliary/upfitter switches. There are already writeups and videos on that but if I need to update this with specifics, I will.

Let me know if I left anything out or if you have any specific questions. The harness isn't terribly hard to build and I hope this helps anyone that would like to save money and do it themselves. There are shortcuts and easier ways to build it but I don't work that way. If I am building something for you or me, I will take the time and do it the way I feel is best.

I will make several of these harnesses for people that wish to buy them from me. Full transparency they aren't that expensive to build but I have to charge for the time it takes me as well. My cost on the materials is close to but a little less than $40 per plug and play harness. That does not include the Diode Dynamics Harness. I will build a few more to come up with a price I feel is fair for my time and get them up on the site.

Thank you all for the support and I hope this helps some of you that want to do it on your own! It is my way of giving back when and where I can.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Reaction score

View attachment 2895View attachment 2890View attachment 2889View attachment 2888View attachment 2887View attachment 2891View attachment 2892View attachment 2893
I left some room in the wiring to add in the ability to tie into the aux switch at a later date. It’s been so flippin cold here I didn’t wanna spend the whole day outside on it. But this is the harness I made. Tucks away nicely and zip tied to existing wiring. If you sell with a similar pre-made harness this job could easily be done in 45 minutes. Took me about double that.View attachment 2894
which beam pattern did you get and were you impressed with them at night as reverse lights?

OnTheReel

Reaction score
which beam pattern did you get and were you impressed with them at night as reverse lights?
They are the SSC1 Pro, flood pattern. I am very pleased with the light output. The red backlight is the perfect brightness at night, and the white is extremely bright. Greatly improved visibility and backup camera image.
AB7EC734-0387-4872-B0C7-95127B98C59F.jpeg
822BF35A-FA9D-429C-B68B-BC87A88194C0.jpeg
D27A1337-57E5-48FC-BB32-86E6EF930EA3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko