So is the TRX really a Raptor killer?

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So there have been several over the years that claimed to be the Raptor killer at one time or the other. Ram tried it with the Rebel years ago. Chevy tried it with the short lived Reaper. So did Dodge finally do it with the hellcat driven TRX?

What say you?

Here's a little viewing pleasure for you to help you make that decision. ;)

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I want to see if the alleged Raptor R comes out. Would love to see the Predator motor in the Gen 3 Raptor. Competition is good for the consumer. However the price tags will keep going up substantially due to them selling like they are. The used market is even worse too.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want to see if the alleged Raptor R comes out. Would love to see the Predator motor in the Gen 3 Raptor. Competition is good for the consumer. However the price tags will keep going up substantially due to them selling like they are. The used market is even worse too.

Do you really think Ford cares if they lose some costumers to the TRX? I would love to see the Raptor R come out as well, but the way they are pushing the Lightning, I bet we see a EV Raptor before we see the V8 Raptor again..

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Do you really think Ford cares if they lose some costumers to the TRX? I would love to see the Raptor R come out as well, but the way they are pushing the Lightning, I bet we see a EV Raptor before we see the V8 Raptor again..

Nope, and they proved that by not responding to the Demon. Although if sales dip enough they may. It is pretty crazy to see a good number of Raptor owners trading in their Gen 2's for a TRX. I do agree I think we will see an EV Raptor before (if ever) we ever see another V8 in one.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
Back when I got a 2013 1st Gen Raptor, I did not even see one per week and I drive 27k per year. Now I see at least one every day or ever other day. Now it’s like that with the TRX. Makes me more drawn to them despite the fact that I believe to be the “Raptor killer”, the TRX has to have better range and shade a pound or 2.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Back when I got a 2013 1st Gen Raptor, I did not even see one per week and I drive 27k per year. Now I see at least one every day or ever other day. Now it’s like that with the TRX. Makes me more drawn to them despite the fact that I believe to be the “Raptor killer”, the TRX has to have better range and shade a pound or 2.

I get the size is a big deal, but man the sound great with the mean hellcat V8 and they seem to have better kick then a gen 2 or gen 3 raptor does.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
Nope, and they proved that by not responding to the Demon. Although if sales dip enough they may. It is pretty crazy to see a good number of Raptor owners trading in their Gen 2's for a TRX. I do agree I think we will see an EV Raptor before (if ever) we ever see another V8 in one.
There are some Raptors being traded for a TRX but if you go on the Raptor forum, you will see in the 3 Gen section that the new Raptors are almost 50/50 with new owners and repeat customers. And all the 21s were grabbed up quickly when they finally got here. So I believe that yes TRX is growing a fan cub( hence the need for this forum) but Raptor sells are still very strong.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
I get the size is a big deal, but man the sound great with the mean hellcat V8 and they seem to have better kick then a gen 2 or gen 3 raptor does.
Right, but is it a Baja truck? That seems to be the the bigger idea of what the Raptor was designed for. So to be a “Raptor killer“ it will have to keep up in the sand.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
There are some Raptors being traded for a TRX but if you go on the Raptor forum, you will see in the 3 Gen section that the new Raptors are almost 50/50 with new owners and repeat customers. And all the 21s were grabbed up quickly when they finally got here. So I believe that yes TRX is growing a fan cub( hence the need for this forum) but Raptor sells are still very strong.

I am on there and I am a previous Gen1 Raptor owner. Ford still has the market but TRX is chipping away at it. As I mentioned, Ford unfortunetly wont care and wont put the predator in a Raptor.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
I don’t disagree. The ecoboost puts out enough horses and can get 600 miles on a tank which speaks to the masses. I’m a minority that buys a truck to actually go off road. Another reason the Raptor and TRX is expensive is this trucks are loaded. Even a base truck is high end. So no one wants to “tear up” their 80k truck or it can have all the options and still “look cool” so 90% ( just a guess) intended to keep it a pavement Princess from day one.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I don’t disagree. The ecoboost puts out enough horses and can get 600 miles on a tank which speaks to the masses. I’m a minority that buys a truck to actually go off road. Another reason the Raptor and TRX is expensive is this trucks are loaded. Even a base truck is high end. So no one wants to “tear up” their 80k truck or it can have all the options and still “look cool” so 90% ( just a guess) intended to keep it a pavement Princess from day one.

I agree with that, most will never go off road. I bet your 90% guess is close. When I had my Raptor, I had a good amount of people ask me if I actually take it off road. Had to show them pics to prove it lol. Luckily I took a lot during our Raptor Runs.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
I agree with that, most will never go off road. I bet your 90% guess is close. When I had my Raptor, I had a good amount of people ask me if I actually take it off road. Had to show them pics to prove it lol. Luckily I took a lot during our Raptor Runs.
I had a Gen 1 once. It replaced my Jeep with it. When I moved from CO to TX I realize I did not have a mountain to climb with my Jeep within 8 hrs but I had plenty of high speed trails and places to stretch the legs on a “Baja racer” so I traded the Jeep in
387B1580-A22D-4737-A26D-952132CBC1D3.jpeg
C98C0EE9-BE9C-41CF-8365-3A60285248A8.jpeg
0D5D2155-5723-4C35-B67F-93A0B9112A6D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

APEX REX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The TRX is definitely not a Raptor killer, it just offers consumers an alternative where none existed before. At the end of the day, I think the majority of TRX owners are drawn in by the supercharged 702HP V8, while others are content with a TT V6. Without the Raptor, there would be no TRX and without the TRX there would be no Raptor R. Competition is good for everyone, but the Raptor will always be a very capable and outstanding off-road truck. Has it lost its King of the throne status to the TRX....that's another debate. :)

Bwl

Reaction score
Somebody should get a raptor and a TRX and compare times over a few rally stages with professional drivers. I know they'd get a view or 2 from me if they did.

APEX REX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Somebody should get a raptor and a TRX and compare times over a few rally stages with professional drivers. I know they'd get a view or 2 from me if they did.

Agreed and I'm sure those tests/comparisons are coming soon. I can tell you all one thing, there was a Raptor/TRX rally type event at VIR on their new off-road track a few months ago and with the exception of a single fully built Raptor, the TRXs all had the fastest laps times.

Reactions: Bwl

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The TRX is definitely not a Raptor killer, it just offers consumers an alternative where none existed before. At the end of the day, I think the majority of TRX owners are drawn in by the supercharged 702HP V8, while others are content with a TT V6. Without the Raptor, there would be no TRX and without the TRX there would be no Raptor R. Competition is good for everyone, but the Raptor will always be a very capable and outstanding off-road truck. Has it lost its King of the throne status to the TRX....that's another debate. :)

I agree with TRX consumers more drawn by the powertrain than anything else. Personally since I don't have trails for a truck anywhere conveniently close to me, I would love to just have a RAM with TRX powertrain and interior while having a regular RAM 1500 suspension....like a new version of the old SRT-10 sort of.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Very true. so @APEX REX, if the TRX had a similar ecoboost v6 as the raptors do, would you have switched over to the TRX, or did the hellcat win you over?

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with TRX consumers more drawn by the powertrain than anything else. Personally since I don't have trails for a truck anywhere conveniently close to me, I would love to just have a RAM with TRX powertrain and interior while having a regular RAM 1500 suspension....like a new version of the old SRT-10 sort of.

The TRX suspension I feel is a better option for a street queen then the normal 1500. My Raptor feels so much smoother running on pavement then a normal f150, so I figured it would be the same for the TRX..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron