What Did You Do With Your TRX (or Other Ram) Today?

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Got the elusive new switch.
IMG_0909.jpeg

Harness landing tomorrow. Should be able to get everything installed then. I’ve had a lot of stuff apart on this truck but the steering wheel / airbag is not one of them so I’ll have to take my time with that. Center stack also needs to come out but that’s easier.

quietpeen

Reaction score
nice, so to do the basics of the swap all you need is the digital cluster the switch and a harness? Any programming with AlfaOBD?

As for the steering wheel. Luckily the whole thing doesn’t have to come off, but to get the airbag off I use a 4mm allen t wrench. You have to have it in the hole about 1“ and then kinda pull or anlge the t wrench toward the steering wheel. I just had the steering wheel off 2 nights ago and I struggled a little with the air bag, but that is what finally worked.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
nice, so to do the basics of the swap all you need is the digital cluster the switch and a harness? Any programming with AlfaOBD?

As for the steering wheel. Luckily the whole thing doesn’t have to come off, but to get the airbag off I use a 4mm allen t wrench. You have to have it in the hole about 1“ and then kinda pull or anlge the t wrench toward the steering wheel. I just had the steering wheel off 2 nights ago and I struggled a little with the air bag, but that is what finally worked.
I know yours has come off a few times so I was hoping you’d have this advice. Thanks for the tips. I’ll see what I can do.

In regards to Alfa, I reached out to Jimmy for clarification but I don’t believe there would be anything to change. Can’t imagine the 12” TFT cluster is even selectable in the 2021 BCM. Guess I’ll find out. I’m not the first to do this swap but maybe the first on these forums so I’ll definitely share everything that I learn.

quietpeen

Reaction score
I know yours has come off a few times so I was hoping you’d have this advice. Thanks for the tips. I’ll see what I can do.

In regards to Alfa, I reached out to Jimmy for clarification but I don’t believe there would be anything to change. Can’t imagine the 12” TFT cluster is even selectable in the 2021 BCM. Guess I’ll find out. I’m not the first to do this swap but maybe the first on these forums so I’ll definitely share everything that I learn.
I hope the tips help. It’s definitely a feel thing and be sure to be pulling up on the airbag as you are pushing what you think is the release. If you don’t pull it won’t come off.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ll disconnect the battery. I used to take my chances but I’m a little older and wiser now.

I did just confirm, no settings changes. Forgot to mention I also talked to Alexey from AlfaOBD last week. He said he’s working on the mileage correction for the digital clusters but “no promises”.

All told it seems the hardest part of this is getting the parts. Unless you want the nav screen in the cluster. Then good luck. Especially if you have a 2021.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ll disconnect the battery. I used to take my chances but I’m a little older and wiser now.

I did just confirm, no settings changes. Forgot to mention I also talked to Alexey from AlfaOBD last week. He said he’s working on the mileage correction for the digital clusters but “no promises”.

All told it seems the hardest part of this is getting the parts. Unless you want the nav screen in the cluster. Then good luck. Especially if you have a 2021.
but the nav screen in the cluster is getting a 23 12 inch screen and the 23 radio module and then the supporting harnesses right?

OnTheReel

Reaction score
but the nav screen in the cluster is getting a 23 12 inch screen and the 23 radio module and then the supporting harnesses right?
2023 BCM (must be bought new and linked to the RF hub by a dealer). And then of course the full UC5 swap. Adapter harness, 2023+ radio, 2022+ UC5 12” screen, and a 2022+ CVPM (if you have surround view cameras).

If I had a 2022 I’d probably be more interested but replacing the screen and video processor is just too much cash on top of the other stuff.

quietpeen

Reaction score
i don’t have the surround cameras, but that sounds like a bunch of b.s. I hope in the future someone comes up with a work around

OnTheReel

Reaction score
I’m curious how infotainment.com is gonna roll this out and what kind of insane price they will charge. Their swap kit is apparently coming out next month.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Postal service failed me today and the harness is another day out. Already cleared my schedule to do this this morning so I pressed on and did everything I could.

Airbag fought me a little but not as bad as I expected. Took about 45 minutes all in to remove, swap switch, clean and re-assemble. Wasn’t getting any traction with the T handle or my valve stem core tool (which was also mentioned as a good option) so I just kept trying random shit. An S2 square bit driver did it eventually. Frustrating when you can feel the stupid spring slip off of every tool you try when you get it so close.
IMG_0919.jpeg

Then I moved on to getting all the trim freed up around the cluster and it’s ready to come out. Cluster bezel, screen, CF trim on either side of the cluster, TRX button trim, headlight switch, and knee buster all have come off or come down to get the fake leather boot around the steering column out of the way. Then it’s just 4 screws for the cluster.
IMG_0925.jpeg
IMG_0924.jpeg
Since I did all this in advance it should only take another 10 minutes to install the cluster tomorrow and re-assemble everything.

quietpeen

Reaction score
good work so far. I know the frustrations with the postal service. What did you figure out about the mileage. I would have figured at this point the mileage wouldn't be part of the cluster anymore.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
good work so far. I know the frustrations with the postal service. What did you figure out about the mileage. I would have figured at this point the mileage wouldn't be part of the cluster anymore.
Unfortunately it still stored in the cluster. Obviously it’s still stored elsewhere in the truck as well, but it doesn’t automatically sync up with the BCM and other modules to match. Not sure why not, guess it’s just old tech since these clusters are similar in function to the 4th gens.

I’m not gonna sell my truck but if I had to, I’d just swap the old cluster back in. Alfa can correct those no problem so the mileage would be accurate once programmed. Just no digital support yet.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Unfortunately it still stored in the cluster. Obviously it’s still stored elsewhere in the truck as well, but it doesn’t automatically sync up with the BCM and other modules to match. Not sure why not, guess it’s just old tech since these clusters are similar in function to the 4th gens.

I’m not gonna sell my truck but if I had to, I’d just swap the old cluster back in. Alfa can correct those no problem so the mileage would be accurate once programmed. Just no digital support yet.
might be a stupid question, but after years of running the digital cluster with the wrong mileage, how do you know what the correct mileage is if an when you put the original back in and want to program it with AlfaOBD?

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Just need to document mileage (and hours, if you care) from the original cluster before you take it out. And then document the mileage (and hours) indicated on the digital cluster when you first install it.

The total mileage to re-write to the original cluster will be its original mileage, PLUS what’s on the digital, MINUS whatever the digital had when you bought it.

I think you can also pull the total mileage from the wheel speed sensor feeds via the PCM in AlfaOBD but haven’t messed with that.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Just need to document mileage (and hours, if you care) from the original cluster before you take it out. And then document the mileage (and hours) indicated on the digital cluster when you first install it.

The total mileage to re-write to the original cluster will be its original mileage, PLUS what’s on the digital, MINUS whatever the digital had when you bought it.

I think you can also pull the total mileage from the wheel speed sensor feeds via the PCM in AlfaOBD but haven’t messed with that.
being able to pull the info would be ideal.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Mainly just hope I can somehow correct the digital’s mileage ASAP and bypass all this crap!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outofmyleague