What did you spend (or waste) your money on today.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Yesterday morning, I wasted about $750 for a copay on some minor surgery. o_O

It appears that a few months ago, I ripped a hole in my chest wall while working out, throwing up, lifting something heavy or one of the other things I tend to do. It took my go-to surgeon this long to figure out what was wrong. So Monday, he knocked me out, drill three holes in my chest for his scopes and patched the hole. That's why I've been posted a lot on the forum. I'm off work and sort of high on pain meds. But hey, doing maintenance and making repairs is part of life, especially as we age. Plus, I'm putting the time off to good use with small "light" projects around the house and that I can do while having a pretty heavy buzz. 🤑

Surgery01.jpg

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score

It appears that a few months ago, I ripped a hole in my chest wall while working out, throwing up, lifting something heavy or one of the other things I tend to do. It took my go-to surgeon this long to figure out what was wrong. So Monday, he knocked me out, drill three holes in my chest for his scopes and patched the hole. That's why I've been posted a lot on the forum. I'm off work and sort of high on pain meds. But hey, doing maintenance and making repairs is part of life, especially as we age. Plus, I'm putting the time off to good use with small "light" projects around the house and that I can do while having a pretty heavy buzz. 🤑

View attachment 2073

Those pain meds make for some interesting experiences. I spent two weeks in the cardiac unit a few years back and watched the entire Harry Potter series while on morphine and percocet. I really don't want to watch it anymore. Sure made for some...um...interesting dreams.

quietpeen

Reaction score

View attachment 2073
ouch, doesn't sound like fun

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
ouch, doesn't sound like fun
It was rough Monday evening and Tuesday. But this afternoon, I'm starting to feel better. I was able to get off the hydros and go to just Tylenol. That alone made a big difference. My head is clearing up and I can actually sleep again. The real payoff starts in about a month when I'm able to start working out again.

quietpeen

Reaction score
It was rough Monday evening and Tuesday. But this afternoon, I'm starting to feel better. I was able to get off the hydros and go to just Tylenol. That alone made a big difference. My head is clearing up and I can actually sleep again. The real payoff starts in about a month when I'm able to start working out again.
Good for you, I would use that as an excuse to give up working out because ”it tore once, more prone to tear again, also if it tore here what’s to say it won’t tear somewhere else.”

Justin33

Reaction score
How did it feel? You said you were getting sick that’s how you knew something was up?

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen similar threads on other forums. Some of the stuff bought was pretty neat. I'll start things off.

I found an older F-150 to add to the fleet. This, once I fx it up, will let me keep the miles down on my CX-5 and hopefully get better mileage than my Ram 1500 4X4.

I suspect a blown head gasket but the frame is solid with no major rust and the body is reasonably straight with just a little rust. The wiring is a rats nest and a fire just waiting to happen. Since I'm retired, I'm in no rush. I still have a 1/2 gallon each of primer and olive drab paint from painting my Dodge so it may get the same color.

View attachment 1694View attachment 1695View attachment 1696View attachment 1697

Unlike most of what I drag home, it DOES run. Just really rough and there's a lot of...um...unique electrical features added over the years.

Man, I missed your post! Love the older F150s! You get it running yet?

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

View attachment 2073

Glad they got you patched up and glad you are wasting your relax time on here, and possibly RF! ;)

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
Man, I missed your post! Love the older F150s! You get it running yet?

It's mostly back together. It's outside so I'm waiting for the cold to break. I'll work in the 30's, 40's and up. Teens the metal tools just are too cold. The timing chain had a lot of slop so I replaced that. The water pump looked new but had a hairline crack in the housing (how THAT append I don't know) and the distributor had a LOT of slop in the shaft so I got a new one. Only $5 more than parts to rebuild my old one.

Right now, I'm chasing a persistent leak, I suspect the thermostat slipped when putting it in and it's leaking there and final timing of the distributor. I do have some parts left over. We don't have inspections so the A.I.R. pump sort of got left out and the hoses capped off. It was missing the pulley anyway.

Plankton

Reaction score
I ordered a Logitech M575 trackball to try out. I spend a lot of time on my PC at work, and I seem to be developing a lot of wrist pain. So I decided to try out a trackball to see if it helps. After doing my research, I also ordered a better Perixx brand ball for it. It seems to add more precision. Total cost for both with sales tax and free shipping was $65.61.
I may also try a 34 mm ball bearing. Some engineers that do a lot of drafting say that will make the trackball super precise if you can get used to rolling that heavy ball bearing with your thumb. I figure I'll try the Perixx ball for a while first. 🤔

View attachment 2041
I saw your CoPay/Surgery post and thought maybe it had something to do with your wrist at first glance. Hope you mend up good and soon.

I've been drafting since the early 90's. I started out board drafting at first, then went to CAD soon after, and I've used those before but just couldn't quite get used to them. I go through pointing devices fairly quickly and recently grabbed a Logitech G102. It's decent.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw your CoPay/Surgery post and thought maybe it had something to do with your wrist at first glance. Hope you mend up good and soon.

I've been drafting since the early 90's. I started out board drafting at first, then went to CAD soon after, and I've used those before but just couldn't quite get used to them. I go through pointing devices fairly quickly and recently grabbed a Logitech G102. It's decent.
I do CAD/CAM for a living, all day everyday. My setup is a 3d connexion space mouse pro, Logitech G915 keyboard with tons of custom binds and macros and then a Logitech G903 mouse. HIGHLY recommend the G915 keyboard and setting up tons of custom binds if you are doing a lot of CAD work.

I have tried the thumb ball mouse a few different times and just can't seem to figure it out.

Check this one out, here's a little side project a buddy and I have been working on. This is a 3d scan of a cylinder head for an early jeep. We are going to be machining a new water jacketed head with custom combustion chambers. Pretty neat having access to this cool equipment. And our bosses don't care, being that we work in R&D everything we do just makes us better at our job. So they give us a lot of leeway on this kind of stuff.
1643312657416.png
1643312698562.png

Plankton

Reaction score
Very nice! I ran a turret lathe and did some CAM stuff for a little while years ago, but it was simple stepped rollers for pipe bending. Nothing ^ that complex.

I started out on AutoCad v9 (DOS) but I've used just about every CAD software out there (Solidworks, ProE (PTC), Unigraphics (NX), BrisCad, Sketchup, etc.) and have come full circle to the AEC package from AutoDesk. I do mostly PSE work without being a PSE with the bulk of it being fire training facilities for new trainee's to train in all over the world. Stuff like this:

E67ikaM.png

I started porting my models to Twinmotion a few years back. A bit easier to work with than AutoCad, Revit, or 3DStudio, and it utilizes some of the same tech as Unreal Engine, which is what quite a few games out there have been created with. I can also send the modeled environment to clients so they can walk around in it in a standalone application.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very nice! I ran a turret lathe and did some CAM stuff for a little while years ago, but it was simple stepped rollers for pipe bending. Nothing ^ that complex.

I started out on AutoCad v9 (DOS) but I've used just about every CAD software out there (Solidworks, ProE (PTC), Unigraphics (NX), BrisCad, Sketchup, etc.) and have come full circle to the AEC package from AutoDesk. I do mostly PSE work without being a PSE with the bulk of it being fire training facilities for new trainee's to train in all over the world. Stuff like this:

View attachment 2121

I started porting my models to Twinmotion a few years back. A bit easier to work with than AutoCad, Revit, or 3DStudio, and it utilizes some of the same tech as Unreal Engine, which is what quite a few games out there have been created with. I can also send the modeled environment to clients so they can walk around in it in a standalone application.
I would love to learn how to do this type of 3d rendering and designing. I usually work in NX for everything especially since we have every license known to man LOL. Recently I have been tasked with learning how to program some Fanuc robots we are using for combustor welding. This will be done in NX too. Check it out, brand spanking new fanuc robots and the welding one has a fronius mig torch. Hard to tell just how big they are but the larger one is standing over 9 feet tall in this pic.

I need to learn more of the autodesk suite. I have a side business doing CAM work for a few machine shops but I never really learned the CAD side of inventor for example. I usually import my stuff from NX or solidworks into autodesk stuff.

IMG_20220120_141154131.jpg
IMG_20220120_141200917.jpg

Oh and to get back on topic here, been a hell of a month! A few weeks ago my washing machine just died. Bought a new Samsung top loader. Then only a few days after my damn dish washer started leaking all over the place. So had to install a new one of those too. Been spending way too much money this month!

Plankton

Reaction score
Dayum. Thats some serious machinery. We got a tig welder. lol Very cool.

3D's easy once you get used to moving around in it.

I'll probably be spending/wasting some $$ on a new guitar soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron