Anyone a Chef?

DeckArtist

Reaction score
When I was in the restaurant business, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen of several places. One I was actually 'the chef' even though I had no formal schooling on being one. Have been cooking since the 60s thanks to Mom teaching me how.

How I got the job was a friend and subsequently, a simple interview, They scheduled me in at 6pm to talk to them [only open at night, very small place]. After a few minutes of talking, they showed me the kitchen and said 'we're hungry, cook us something'.

They had filets of tenderloin, salmon, chicken and veggies in the coolers. I took one Salmon filet and one Tenderloin filet. I sautéed the salmon in garlic butter with lime, grilled the Tenderloin with just S&P to MR, then cut zucchini into boats and had mixed veggies to fill it up. Can't remember the garnish [that was in the early 90s, my last job in the business before I decided to build decks instead].

Got hired on the spot and cooked there for over a year. It was slow on Tuesday nights [we were open Tues-Sat] so I was the only one there. Having been a waiter, bartender, manager, etc in the past, I had no trouble doing it all that one day of the week.

I still cook daily, love grilling and smoking food outside. Made chili last night. Next time I do something out of the ordinary, I will pop back in with a photo.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I was in the restaurant business, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen of several places. One I was actually 'the chef' even though I had no formal schooling on being one. Have been cooking since the 60s thanks to Mom teaching me how.

How I got the job was a friend and subsequently, a simple interview, They scheduled me in at 6pm to talk to them [only open at night, very small place]. After a few minutes of talking, they showed me the kitchen and said 'we're hungry, cook us something'.

They had filets of tenderloin, salmon, chicken and veggies in the coolers. I took one Salmon filet and one Tenderloin filet. I sautéed the salmon in garlic butter with lime, grilled the Tenderloin with just S&P to MR, then cut zucchini into boats and had mixed veggies to fill it up. Can't remember the garnish [that was in the early 90s, my last job in the business before I decided to build decks instead].

Got hired on the spot and cooked there for over a year. It was slow on Tuesday nights [we were open Tues-Sat] so I was the only one there. Having been a waiter, bartender, manager, etc in the past, I had no trouble doing it all that one day of the week.

I still cook daily, love grilling and smoking food outside. Made chili last night. Next time I do something out of the ordinary, I will pop back in with a photo.
Thats awesome! 2 things I regret growing up during school was learning to cook and to learn Spanish. Growing up in Southern Az, there was ample opportunity to learn Spanish, but did not take it seriously

quietpeen

Reaction score
I made wings last night With the air fryer. I’m still thinking about how good they were. I didn’t make my own sauce though. That is a mixture of Buffalo Wild Wings Spicy garlic and Buffalo Wild Wings Medium sauce. It weird how the camera changed the color of them. They were actually that normal orange/red color.

B08588B2-01C3-4BB1-862D-BDD02E6D4431.jpeg

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I made wings last night With the air fryer. I’m still thinking about how good they were. I didn’t make my own sauce though. That is a mixture of Buffalo Wild Wings Spicy garlic and Buffalo Wild Wings Medium sauce. It weird how the camera changed the color of them. They were actually that normal orange/red color.

View attachment 3413
Those look amazing. My favorite food of all is wings. Like them hot but not too hot. I prefer the flats over the drums though

quietpeen

Reaction score
Those look amazing. My favorite food of all is wings. Like them hot but not too hot. I prefer the flats over the drums though
Mine too haha……I used to get hot Or extra hot but getting old sucks. Now too much spice bothers the back of my tongue. I also prefer the flats, but when you buy a pack at the grocery store it comes with both.

Later I will have some new pics…..I’m making smoked butternut squash in Sriracha sauce and smoked stuffed peppers.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All these pics look amazing. Keep them coming so I can get good ideas

OnTheReel

Reaction score
Smoked & air fried wings. Brined and then did a dry rub with franks red hot seasoning. Sorry, I ate about half of them before thinking to snap a pic.😁
2F000FE4-6D01-4399-AEA0-CB46F04FAC59.jpeg

To go along with them my wife did scratch made pizzas.
A7DA4077-A898-42C4-9FC1-DDB16665955B.jpeg

quietpeen

Reaction score
Today I’m smoking drum sticks again as prep for lunch for the week. Trying smoked asparagus also. I’m not a big fan of asparagus but it’s a good for you vegetable and maybe smoked with a good rub will make it better.

OnTheReel

Reaction score
I had wild asparagus growing on my property. I mowed over it for years and it finally got the message and stopped coming back. I don’t really care for it. On the grill it’s OK I guess.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All these meals look amazing! I need to get it going on starting to make meals. I know once I start, it will be nonstop for me. Especially if I actually make something good! lol

OnTheReel

Reaction score
4A9FC4A0-89B4-4EA2-BC3C-F924171BDC95.jpeg

Pan fried fawn backstraps. Marinated in milk and hot sauce. Then double breaded with Shore Lunch Cajun. Good amount of heat, and so tender they are almost a liquid.

quietpeen

Reaction score
I wish I would have taken pictures because it looked so good, but I smoked a pork loin on Sunday with cherry rub. It was so flavorful and juicy.

On Saturday I smoked a chuck roast.

this was about 4 hours in

chuck roast 1.jpg

This was the final result after 12 hours on the smoker and 1 hour of rest in a cooler.

chuck roast 2.jpg

chuck roast 3.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skeberj